Stormy and Lava Ski Descents

benman

Skied Stormy Monday, Lava Headwall and the North Face of the Northwest Ridge this past weekend with Jason and Josh Hummel. Had some issues with rockfall on the lower slopes of Stormy and Lava but the rest was well worth it. The NFNWR lived up to its reputation as my favorite ski in the state. The snow was as good as it gets.

Nearly 20,000 vertical feet in three days. July is off to a good start.

Look for a trip report and photos on my website in a couple weeks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by AllYouCanEat:

Godzilla. Hmm. Sorry, already have my final ski planned out.
[big Grin]

Jason...

ayce- sorry to inform you, but i made a ski-less descent from zilla already last year. conditions were wet rock and a solid down pour with too much boldness equals fat air!!!

sorry dps!

[Razz][big Drink][Cool][laf][Eek!]

These routes are all on the north side of Mount Adams. Stormy Monday is no longer a go unless you enjoy downclimbing 50 degree scree that has never been touched. I’d say thumbs down for the Lava Headwall as well. The middle section is most likely glacier ice/rock by now. If you plan to climb either of these, take full body armor or do it at night.

The North Face of the Nortwest Ridge (NFNWR) should still be a worthwhile climb or ski. Access to or from the Adams Glacier is getting thinner by the day. We chose to jump a 2-3 wide crack although there is a steep snowbridge that could be traversed a few feet higher. The rest of the route is prime.

For more intimidation check out Beckey’s guide or Selected Climbs in the Cascades, Volume II. My trip report might be a few weeks so here are some photos.

05JasonStormy.JPG

Jason near the top of Stormy Monday wondering what's below. Day 1.

04JoshLava.JPG

Josh in the middle of the Lava Headwall wishing he brought his helmet. Day 2.

09JasonNFNWR.JPG

Jason relaxing on the NFNWR. Day 3.

BTW, photos could never do these routes justice. Those who have been to Adams High Camp and beyond know what I'm talking about.

[ 07-12-2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: benman ]

• 2 weeks later...