highland games

DonnyBaker

Man, I was at 7-11 the other day and this guy in a kilt was handing out flyers for scottish wrestling or something. I was all like here give me more of those for my friends. Then I threw them in the trash right in front of his face. Besides I got to work on saturday until 3, Any of you guys know anything about that stuff.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a scottish games once, and I actually got to do the caber toss. Turned an 18 foot, 65 pound telephone pole. Highly recomended if you can con one of big guys into letting you try. The games are pretty fun if you can put up with bag pipe music (luckily you will be drinking so much scotch you won't notice).

So... Why the caber toss? I understand most throwing events are directly related to a skill used in war; javelin being the most obvious.

Is an 18 foot long, 65lb spear the traditional weapon of the Scots?

Was it a secret training kind of thing like Capoeria? (sp?)

I went to a scottish games once, and I actually got to do the caber toss. Turned an 18 foot, 65 pound telephone pole. Highly recomended if you can con one of big guys into letting you try. The games are pretty fun if you can put up with bag pipe music (luckily you will be drinking so much scotch you won't notice).

I can imagine throwing that thing up, and taking my jaw off...or creating a serious back injury. Good on you, though! I think If I asked, those big guys would laugh their ass off at me (as they fell down drunk.)

The bagpipes are entertaining, though hahaha.gif