New Hikers for Glaciers, Please Weigh In

sudsleydoright

Greetings, newbie poster here. Fantastic board.

I'm hiking Rainier last week of August, and need some guidance on footwear. I have waterproof Vasque's

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...vcat=REI_SEARCH

but I'm not sure they're adequate. Although this will be my first glacier hike, I'm not new to 14er's. I'd consider investing in a transitional hiker if mountaineering seems to be the direction I'm headed, but I'm not interested in dropping $350 for the hardcore boots not knowing if I'll be serious about it. Is there a good boot I should be looking at that's a little more affordable, that will allow me to be comfortable and safe on glaciers during the milder seasons? Any advice and/links are greatly appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "hiking Rainier"? It's a pretty big mountain. Are you climbing to the summit, hiking to Camp Muir, doing the Wonderland Trail, or just wandering aimlessly on glaciers unroped and alone?

Clarifying your objective will make it easier to give advice.

Plastic mountaineering boots are great for walking on glaciers with crampons. The best reason is that something like the Koflach Degre's will minimize the blisters on your heels. You can also rent them for a fraction of the cost (REI or Marmot Mountain).

The best reason is that something like the Koflach Degre's will minimize the blisters on your heels.

I disagree with this. Plastic boots are MORE painful/blister generating in my opinion. However, they are warmer and more waterproof than leathers.

Edit: I agree with other folks here that your boots are probably inadequate for Rainier.

Renting plastics is a good way to go. If you end up really liking the DC route and want to do more of the same, buy some stiff-soled (full-shank) waterproof boots, leather or plastic, that will work with your crampons.

"Crampon-compatible", used to describe boots, usually means that the boots have welts in front and back for crampons that attach using heel and toe bails. But any old hiking boot can be used with strap-on crampons.

I wouldn't recommend going with your current boots in any case, since they don't seem to be stiff-soled.

Greetings, newbie poster here. Fantastic board.

I'm hiking Rainier last week of August, and need some guidance on footwear. I have waterproof Vasque's

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...vcat=REI_SEARCH

but I'm not sure they're adequate. Although this will be my first glacier hike, I'm not new to 14er's. I'd consider investing in a transitional hiker if mountaineering seems to be the direction I'm headed, but I'm not interested in dropping $350 for the hardcore boots not knowing if I'll be serious about it. Is there a good boot I should be looking at that's a little more affordable, that will allow me to be comfortable and safe on glaciers during the milder seasons? Any advice and/links are greatly appreciated.

Some secondhand Koflach Degre's would probably be perfect for Rainier, and if you are in Colorado, it might be worth checking with Bent Gate Mountaineering or Neptune Mountaineering to see what they have in stock.

If you don't already have it, a familiarity with glacier travel/crevasse that'd also be something worth picking up before the trip.

• 2 months later...
What do you mean by "hiking Rainier"? It's a pretty big mountain. Are you climbing to the summit, hiking to Camp Muir, doing the Wonderland Trail, or just wandering aimlessly on glaciers unroped and alone?

LOLLOL........I can just picture his eyes turning red through his sunglasses when he said this.