Heading to Thailand

scottier

A friend and I are heading to Thailand in December, gonna hit up the Phi Phi islands and Raleigh for a week. Could use some advice on what else to do, have two weeks to fill, have planned some random stuff, but if anyone has some awesome things they've done there, let me know so I can do them as well!

rockband.gifsnaf.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to hang out with sarcastic annoying Americans.

We avoid peak travel times now - and December in Thailand is tourisms Everest. We can be found expressing disdain in restaraunts, cafe's and hostels throughout the world though - no need to go Thailand. Watch for us blanching when we hear your American accent; you may expose us for something other than the dot.com millionaire we claim to be.

Shove the pickets up your ass next time.

Thanks for the picket suggestion. I think I'll stick with a locker though - the ends are pretty torn up from pounding them into ice.

BTW - The correct terminology is Dirty Hippie not Stinky Hippie.

PS - Scottier - here are a couple posts: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/s...true#Post522400

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/s...true#Post263098

Thanks for the picket suggestion. I think I'll stick with a locker though - the ends are pretty torn up from pounding them into ice.

BTW - The correct terminology is Dirty Hippie not Stinky Hippie.

PS - Scottier - here are a couple posts: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/s...true#Post522400

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/s...true#Post263098

I need to take a shit. Could you write me a set of instructions?

the funny thing about bulletainboards is people actually respond with useful information when someone's an asshole to the dumbass asking a basic question. When nobody responds they ignore it. If you want a cheap amusement park for farangs stick to Thailand.

I lived in South Asia for awhile and vacationed in Thailand alot. Love Railay, even after experiencing the Tsunami there on our last visit. Even when its crowded its still not as bad as Phuket, Koh Samui, etc.

As far as cool things to do I would highly recommend kayaking in Khao Sok Lake and along the Andaman Sea, check out www.paddleasia.com.

Here's some beta for climbing in Thailand:

-don't spend more than one night in Bangkok, there's a reason for that song

-pay up front for all the days you plan to stay in a bungalo, you get a cheaper price

-don't stay in the places near the beach unless you can afford it, inland places are cheaper. Dream Valley is a good bargain.

-bring lots of chalk

-bring all anodized biners, or else they get destroyed by the salt water environment

-don't bring a bunch of shorts/tshirts, you can buy cooler ones in Bangkok for cheaper and they make good souvenirs

-Bring a sweater or jacket on the bus ride from Bangkok to Krabi, they crank the AC and it gets too cold to sleep

-you can buy pot from the bartender at the Insomnia Bar

-always bargain and don't offer a price that you aren't willing to pay. if they accept your offer, you should buy it or they get really pissed

-don't buy any drugs in Bangkok

-learn some Thai, even a little makes a good impression

-visit the Northern part of the country if you have time (Changmai, Pi) although with 2 weeks you'll probably stay in Railay the whole time

-bring some strong antibiotics like Cipro and Flagyl

-find the underwater cave entrance that tunnels through Happy Island, a very cool adventure

-always stare down the bearded monkeys, they love that

-make time to climb Ao Nang Tower, it's worth it

-get a posse together and rent a boat to do some deep water soloing near Chicken Island

-beach towels are as expensive in Thailand as they are here, and they all suck

-you can get mosquito repellant there

-if the tide suddenly goes way way out, run

Further to Tennessee's excellent advice,

Climb in the shade!!

Buy your Cipro in Bangkok, not here, same stuff way cheaper.

Also, walk the trail between Railay East and West and have a cold one at the bar over looking Diamond Cave. They light up the climbing routes in the evening. The bungalows up there are also very affordable.

King climbers has a great guide for Railay.

If you get a chance to go north to Chaing Mai they have a bunch of routes about 45 minutes outside of town at Crazy Horse and they are developing new routes all the time. There's a guy from Southern Utah who has a climbing shop and gym in Chaing Mai, can't remember the name but its easy to find.

Annddd, definitely heed the warning to run for high ground when the tide goes way out suddenly, there is no "surf" at Railay.