Dolomites via ferrata

MtnBoy

I am going to be in Europe the last week in september and first week in Oct. I am looking to fly down to italy for a few days and get some via ferrata's under my belt.

Any suggestions?

I am looking to get from the venice airport to one central location so I don't have to rent a car. I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks bigdrink.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but:

1. I don't want to schlep 25 lbs of gear all over europe.

2. I want to take my wife, and she is not up for multi pitch. I am hoping this would be a good introduction and get her excited about it.

Thanks for the reply

I was in Italy for a month last summer climbing, hiking hut to hut, and some via ferrat(ing). Three days is not much time, if you can spare at least a week do it. Count on a full day to get to the Dolomites from Venice airport via train. I think the quickest is a train switch in Verona and then picking up a bus to reach the smaller villages. Even some of the larger towns like Cortina are not served by train. I would strongly recommend renting a car if you have limited time. Otherwise you'll be stuck using the busses in the villages and that may or may not meet you're needs for getting to your VFs.

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/362/title/via-ferratas-italian-dolomites--vol-1

The above link is for Vol 1 of thte cicerone guide, which was very useful. Don't forget you'll have to purchase a VF kit - it's a dynamic self belay device you put on your harness and you clip into the wires as you go. If you fall on just webbing it could be a major static fall (up to 20 ft between wire anchors) and they would snap like carrot sticks.

I thought the VFs were interesting, though I'm glad we don't have them over here (least not many). You can choose to just climb the rock and use it as protection or grab on when needed. Some of them are pretty steep and long. We did one that was about 1,600 ft vertical, and of course it ended with strudel at the hut.

I also have to VF kits I'm willing to sell. PM if interested. We stayed in Arabba and Canaezi, both central to the four pass area. Arabba had this place run by Brits, some of who wrote the Cicerrone guides. They had a ton of information, maps and route descriptions, for hikes and VFs, and gave me a suggestion for a climbing guide. http://www.colletts.co.uk/

I'd go back. Look at the VFs as protected scrambling - it has it's place in that mountain culture. Be happy to answer other questions.

I just spent two weeks in the Dolomites a few weeks ago. I am kinda rushed right now so PM me for more info - the Dolomites appear very confusing from afar but are very user friendly. From Venice, I would head North to Cortina and base out of there - which is a big, somewhat ugly (for Italy) ski town. Not having a car seems noble, especially in Euro cities, but a car will vastly increase your climbing options and overall experience. We paid about $375 USD for a week rental (go, go diesel Fiat) and I would never go to the Dolomites without.

My favorite base would be the town of Canazei about three hours west of Cortina and below Sella Pass. Much more quaint but still great access to the mountains.

The Dolomites are superb! Enjoy.