Adams-North Ridge

CraigA

I am considering soloing (since I can't find a partner) the north ridge on Adams. I was wondering if there are any crevasse issue's from the top of the ridge to the west and true summit's as you cross the ice cap? I've only climbed Mazama Glacier and I'm not familar with the ice cap from the north.

If you have any info on this please let me know.

Thanks,

Craig

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

CraigA

Climbed the north ridge last august. Miserable with no snow, but no sign of crevasses on the trip to the true summit. We were comfortable traveling unroped. I think it will be even safer this year with the above average snow pack. The north ridge is not a bad climb as long as it is snow covered. I think it would make a good solo. I"d give it a shot. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I climbed this in September 1995-- it's definitely a chore with no snow. Lots of backsliding on small basalt marbles. But exposure was minimal. By the time the ridge tops out on the summit plateau, the angle is very low-- so low that we were able to cross a large swath of hard water ice without crampons. There were no crevasses at all between N. ridge and summit. It should go fine as a solo. [Cool]

Dito to Norman Clydes note. I climbed the Northwest Ridge solo with no problems. Yes there is a lot of loose basalt without a snow cover but I don't think you will see too much bare rock now. Not much exposure to speak of there. Are you going to approach via Killen Creek? I'm not sure of the road conditions, but that may be your biggest obstacle. Good luck, have fun and leave early to take advantage of the hard snow.

Craig:

Have a good trip and enjoy the North Ridge, it's fun scrambling and no crevasses at all as has been pointed out. Spent 15 hours on it car to car one fine day. Too dang long if you ask me but well worth it. This time of year should be great with the snow coverage.

I'd be interested in your TR esp. about the road condition and skiis vs. no skiis up to Adams Meadows.