Getting into Canada

akf

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

akf - you traveling alone or in a group? If you're a male dirtbag type traveling alone in a dirtbag car, you'll probably get harassed. I've got a couple guy friends who've had some trouble trying to cross by themselves. They both got detained, searched and questioned for a few hours. One was threatened with having his truck torn apart if he didn't let them know where the "goods" were hidden.

A few years ago when I would head up to Squamish solo, I had no trouble getting in. I got hassled coming home a couple times, once solo and once with a climbing partner (one of the guys who got detained previously). But I haven't been searched or detained. They just peered into my truck bed and saw all the camping gear and stuff and waived me through. The other time we got the friendly wave through when we told the guy we knew eachother from nursing school...which was the truth. Weird how the border agent's total demeanor changed at that point.

Never had problems getting North... however, was arrested and detained for 3 hours trying to return after climbing in Squamish for 4 days. US Customs agents stated that we looked suspicious (2 white guys in a newer pickup truck with WA plates?) The pulled everything out of our truck, dumped out all haul bags, backpacks etc into a huge pile in the car check area and proceeded to search the car and gear with drug dogs for 20 minutes. During our detention, we were questioned about our "real" reasons for being in Canada and accused of trafficing drugs across the border. Phone calls were made, more accusations followed before they finally were forced to let us go after finding no evidence of anything. It took nearly an hour to get re-packed and back on the road after they had torn apart the cab and sleeping area in the canopy. I was red flagged for years until I got a new truck with different plates.

I was once detained at SEA-TAC after flying in from the UK. They wanted to know what drugs I had brought with me. When I told them I didn't have any I was told "it's ok if you brought your pipes, as long as they're clean." They didn't believe me. I used to get hassled a lot more. Fortunately for me they're more interested in people who look like terrorists now and evidently I just look like a drug addict.

Here's what not to do coming back into the USA after a 6 day scuba diving trip. Come to border... Agent asks me what I've been up to. Come to border alone. I say I was up in Port Hardy scuba diving. He says... do you dive in a dry suit or a wet suit... I say that only an idiot would dive wet in the NorthWest... well... he says he dives in a wetsuit. I'm so fucked... detained... gear ripped apart and after about 3 hours... I get to leave. Next time I will focus on keeping my mouth shut.... PUNTERS!!!

I can remember a time when I lived in Montana a couple of hours from the border. My friend and I just turned 19 so we thought we would go up to Canada for a little "legal" bigdrink.gif drinking trip. Somehow I ended up driving a few miles on the wrong side of the one way road. I pulled up to the small border crossing not realizing what happened. I looked through the passenger side window to have the US and Canadan guards asked me what the hell I thought I was doing. I replied, "going to Canada". "Not this way your not", they replied. They made me drive back and come through the right way but to my suprise, they just let us through without any questions. Man did we get wasted.

Never a problem going north. All the canadians care about is guns and booze.

Coming home is another matter. I am as wholesome as they come and have learned always to keep my mouth shut and don't challenge the authority. If they ask to search the car, say "sure, problem". The two times they have asked, and not followed through. If they ask for fruit or vegetables, give them a positive respons such as "we got rid of them at the last garbage can". This makes it look like you have your stuff together.

It sucks to have to deal with it, but its the government.

Cheers,

an assortment of inanities i still recollect, after a day in the mountains:

ostensible lone dirtbag female re-enters Canada in dirtbag truck = routinely, and systematically cross-examined.

in contrast, dirtbag female in shiny new truck crosses with relative ease.

during one cursory search of trunk:

luwayo: do i fit the profile this month?

guard: unfortunately, there is no profile.

after a near round the clock attempt one february, the Cdn guards got their jollies at 02:00hrs by having me pull my old rig over...searching door panels, interior compartments, engine, etc...not to mention frisking the poor spent dirtbag herself, who was then rendered a hypothermic mass when stripped from superpuffy. <sniff> those heartless brutes!

guard: do you have any large sums of cash?

luwayo: no.

guard: do you know what is a large sum of cash?

luwayo: rolleyes.gif

the post climb lactic acid stagger does not help your cause.

strategically stacked unwashed polypro will.

guard: where are you going?

luwayo: to snowshoe (oversimplifying often helps).

guard: where is Snowshoe?

luwayo: rolleyes.gif

Edited by luwayo

In a nutshell, do what Thinker and MtnBoy say.

Get a passport (if you don't already have one) and hand it to them, and answer their inane questions. Tell 'em you ate (or threw out) the fruit. Works going north and south. I make about 4 to 6 cross-border trips per year, and have never had a problem, except the time we were travelling in two cars, and my mates got to the border first, and told the guards that there was a crazy drunk guy following them, and that they should really check him out. smirk.gif

FYI: Beginning in 2007, you'll need a passport to get back in. Even from Canada.

Given that I am an overwieght middle aged white guys, I have never been hassled even when I transport guns across the border for hunting purposes. When I crossed on Sept. 15th 2001, I had more questions about the dog's rabies vacine then I did my weapons. Coming back is not much more, but pick the samllest border crossing you can find, show a passport, be nice as your Aunt Matilda, tell the US side that you'll be travelling back in 2, 3, 4 weeks, with the following equipment, supplies, people (with passports). I have heard that the biggest impediment to traveling North is a previous DUI. Kind of ironic from a country in which most adult males consume 2 liters of beer before diiner to get started.