Winter Wheels

DavidHiers

Hi,

What kind of vehicle do you want to have to get to a typical winter trailhead here in the Cascades? I'm not sure how much snow and other obstacles you typically have to deal with around here to get to the start of the approach for a typical climb.

Thanks in advance,

David

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on the trail remoteness... Toyota pickups are reliable and there is the cascade cadillac aka slowbaru, I mean Subaru...but if you want to arrive in class and comfort try some type of German made car or I bet Volvo's kick ass too in the snow....

My prefrence:

5-spd Quattro (AWD):

4SA-4.JPG

This is basically a snow mobile:

porsche.gif

OF course, if the trail is located off some rutted out or deep snow drifted FS road, then go for the truck...clearance is always better.

If you are looking to get to regular summer trailheads during the winter than no 4 wheel vehicle is going to help with that - truck or car. The mountains just get far too much snow for that to practical. If you are intersted in a vehicle that is good all around in rain, snow, etc. I would definently recommend an Audi at the upper price point and the for a bit cheaper - the other recommendations like the subbie or tac-truck are good suggestions.

-josh

I'm not the authority on this but my buddy's subaru used to spin out and get stuck in places where my old cavalier used to make it. (we'd follow each other)- Plus the type of people that drive rus usually drive them poorly. Go for a 4wd with clearance (a truck or suv) and throw studded tires on them. I currently have AWD and don't like how much gas it sucks down. Good luck and be safe- getting home from the climb can often be the most dangerous part.

Here's what I own.

Jeep001.jpg

Parts are dirt cheap, 21 mpg, 132,000 trouble free miles thus far, and it's gotten me up the Cloud Cap road in December when others were getting easily stuck. They don't have the interior space that you can get with a Toyota pickup (making the rear box into climber's quarters, that is), but the price to get one, at well less than 6000 bucks, is much cheaper than a Toyota.

The Audi pic that bwrts posted above looks like an A4. If you want to be able to get through more serious snow, get a used Audi allroad. Much more room inside than an A4 (bigger car and a wagon configuration), more power, and much, much more ground clearance with the height-adjustable suspension. Up to something like 8.1 inches, if I recall. Of course, you've gotta be able to afford the car, and any maintenance issues that might pop up.

Hi,

What kind of vehicle do you want to have to get to a typical winter trailhead here in the Cascades? I'm not sure how much snow and other obstacles you typically have to deal with around here to get to the start of the approach for a typical climb.

Thanks in advance,

David

If your main objective is just to get to the places where other people park - ski area parking lots, Sno-Parks, pull-outs on plowed roads, etc - some kind of fuel efficient AWD is the way to go.

If you want something that has a chance of getting you through some snow-patches that would stop the typical passenger car en route to a trailhead in the spring, then something with around 10" of clearance and a locking rear differential is probably the way to go. Make sure to pack a come-along or two, a shovel, and a length of static cord as well as the odds are pretty good that you'll find yourself using them if you probe enough snow-patches.

Other folks may know more about this, but I've heard that grinding through deep patches of heavy snow is a pretty good way to fry a stock clutch, even if you're in 4-low, so I think that unless you're also a 4x4 hobbyist, just parking where everyone else does will probably save you lots of time and money.

Having said all of that - having 4WD and some clearance has come in pretty handy for me from time to time.