St. Helens Conditions

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up with my wife Karen and friend Carla, hoping that the weatherman would get the forecast wrong. He didn't. Saturday was decent but awoke Sunday morning to snow, wind, and poor visibility. Not bad for Carla's first snow camping trip! Probably 4 or 5 inches of new wet snow. Bagged the trip, shoed out to rain at the snow park, ate a late breakfast at Brock's Oak Tree in Woodland (mmmmm, cheese blintzes on the buffet), and drove home. Oh well, next time.

I didn't dig a pit or anything, but it seemed to me that the avy danger is on the high side with the accumulation of wet snow on top of the consolidated corn snow layer. The new snow slid easily under my snowshoes on the way out. I noticed tonight that the NWAC issued a special report due to the weather as well.

Be safe!

-Allen

Sunday was nasty. Got to withing 500' of the rim but turned around when we ran out of wands. Visibility was <50', sustained winds over 35 MPH w/ much higher gusts, a little below freezing, some deposits of new snow almost 3' deep. Most of the snow up high was well bonded to the fairly soft crust below. Only saw a couple folks trying as we were coming down. None of them were carrying wands and I kind of wonder if they really were taking compass bearings. It was raining in the parking lot when we got back to the car.