[TR] Mt Baker- Coleman Deming 7/25/2006

ketch

Climb: Mt Baker-Coleman Deming

Date of Climb: 7/25/2006

Trip Report:

So I had to get a quicky TR posted. We left mid morning from Heliotrop ridge trailhead and did a leisurely walk in. Monday morning was teach the newbs basic arrest and rescue skills. Then we climbed to the shelf at the base of Colfax. More goofing and sight seeing. Tuesday we summit and out. Nothing really special to report we met or crossed paths with your typical cross section of interesting climbers and non climbers. Only on one occasion did I need to tell my party to sit down and take a break as I didn't want to be close to that other group. (they were obviously an "interesting" party)

The one thing That I wanted to get posted is for those that are thinking of doing anything that involves the Roman headwall. It is partially melted out now and at the rate I observed I would guess that there is about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks left before it is at that late summer all ice state. If you want to do it with snow then get it soon. The rest of the route is in real good condition. Early morning is outstanding, later the snow is wet and pasty. I observed one other party that went as far as the top of the pumice ridge with boots only and only used crampons for the headwall. Probably not a good choice but it worked for them with only a few falls.

Gear Notes:

Typical glacier stuff

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...