Camping near Juneau

Winter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have camped off the trail around the Mendenhall Glacier before, on the south side at the top near the creek. Really nice.

Just South of town might yield some good spots with some searching, as well, and if you want real privacy and have a vehicle and don't mind a little driving, Eagle Beach out North is the nicest spot around.

bigdrink.gifErik

I'm not sure when you will be here but the weather is great today (friday) and is suposed to be sunny and warm tommorow also. Sunday it is suposed to get back to a 40% chance of rain. If you have a vehicle you should take a look at False Outer Point near the end of the North Douglas Road. There is a beach access trail at the pull out where the road leaves the shore. Good sites about 100 yards from the car and great sunsets.

There is a big USFS campground at the base of the Mendenhall glacier. Turn left off the Mendenhall highway before you get to the visitor center. The campground is on the west and north side of the lake. Beautiful place, lots of campsites, restrooms, etc. I have camped there off season, when it is closed. There is a nice covered shelter there in case the Juneau weather shows itself. Take the bus up there if you want, it goes almost to the campground, and all over downtown too. Catch it at the Nugget mall next to the airport. There is also a campground north of the ferry terminal about a mile. Kind of dark and damp. Like Alaska. Oh, and if you have time, look for my lost wallet, and if you lose yours, I can direct you to the best dumpsters.