For Mariner fans (like me)

Jens

As a die hard mariner fan, what I am seeing at home games as of late is sickening me. At any given game in any city, their are always gonna be travelers or whatever that like the opposing team. A safeco though, visitng fans are getting more and more brazen. In any given section these days on any given night at safeco, their will be at least 15-20 people in one or two small groups dressed up in the opposing teams jerseys standing up and cheering at every play or out made by the opposing team. People are cluing in that we are just to nice here in Seattle. A friend told me that in New York or Boston, they'd get beer, seeds, batteries, and other shit thrown at them and probably get beat up if they kept standing up for every out or hit that the opposing team scored. At last night's Toronto game, a huge section could be heard chanting for toronto all the way across the stadium to our seats (which were on the opposite side of the stadium). Shit, the last time the Yankees came to town, every third fan walking to the Safe had a Yankees Jersey or hat on. We are just waaaaay to nice in this city (I'm guilty myself). And we are a baseball city- so let's work together on fixing this. Pass the word at work watercoolers, etc.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Yankee stadium, you're probably right...probably in Philly as well, but only because their fan base are cock sucking assholes.

I grew up a Braves fan. We sucked when I was a kid, but got on a very, very, very long streak winning something like 12 division titles in a row (until this year when the streak will finally end). There were always contingents of fans for the visiting teams and we embraced them. Anyone who will show up to support their team on the road is OK in my book.

Hell, I've seen the Braves play on the road plenty of times and gotten warm enough reception from the home team crowds...in Tampa, NY (@ Shea), Chicago, St. Louis, and San Fran. It's about a love of the game, not some bullshit "those out of towners shouldn't be celebrating my team's misfortune" jive.

BTW, St. Louis has the best fans in MLB....and the Mariners suck donkey schlong. the_finger.gif

As a life-long Philly fan (Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers) I have to say that I'm ashamed of the Philadelphia fan base. Sure, I thought it was funny when Jimmy Johnson and Santa got pelted with snowballs... but I was a teenager when it happened. And sure the crowd goes nuts when the Eagles are winning. But the trade-offs are not worth it. Visiting players' parents can't sit in the bleachers without being physically harrassed. Opposing players have experienced career-ending injuries and been MOCKED before the Philly hordes. My cousin, who grew up a Cowboys fan (because of his inbred father) can't go see his team play when the Cowboys come to Philly each year because he'll be heckled to the point where he fears for his own welfare. This is child getting publicly humiliated by grown (albeit drunken) men. My Aunt pays good money, which goes to the HOME TEAM, so that her kid can have a miserable experience?!!

And it's all for what? Does Philly have a single championship since the early 80's to show for it? Do national superstars want to be a part of a Philadelphia franchise when their contracts are up? Do the long-lived local heroes leave Philly in glory, or shame (I'll give you a hint: People are NOT happy with Donovan McNabb)?

The best way to combat infiltrators is to cheer louder. Philadelphia is NOT a role model. And New York is not as bad as the nation percieves. I doubt you would get pelted with rock-filled snowballs for wearing an Eagles jersey at a Giants game.

In Yankee stadium, you're probably right...

No, he's not. I've been going to 5 to 30 games a year since 1977. You can root for the other team without having beer or other beverages thrown on you safely. But don't expect not to get heckled by all the people around you.

And I agree about the mariners sucking.

Now, the braves having a 'winning streak' well...but i have to say that chipper jones is an excellent player and the pitching was just something else. I think if they'd been a real (AL) team, they'd have won more world series...

But don't expect not to get heckled by all the people around you.

word up. time for some of you to put on your big girl panties and suck it up. if getting heckled damages your self esteem, then maybe you should stay home. just having a discussion about this makes me think seattle is getting way too touchy feely these days.

I thought baseball was a game where opponents were also humans. I don't get that feeling from the Yankees.

Seattle too nice? Would you rather have neighbors from the midwest or neighbors from the northeast? I think most people would choose nice people.

A friend told me that in New York or Boston, they'd get beer, seeds, batteries, and other shit thrown at them and probably get beat up if they kept standing up for every out or hit that the opposing team scored.

that's just great. get beat up for rooting for a different SPORTS TEAM? Like that really matters. It's a damn GAME. Only a total impotent loser finds a need to behave this way. pitty.gif

But don't expect not to get heckled by all the people around you.

word up. time for some of you to put on your big girl panties and suck it up. if getting heckled damages your self esteem, then maybe you should stay home. just having a discussion about this makes me think seattle is getting way too touchy feely these days.

Uhhhh, nobody suggested that anywhere in this thread. Another typical post with no content merit.

I have noticed the brazen fans more this year and I think it has a lot to do with fewer Mariners fans at the games. The fans of out of town teams will come out in similar numbers regardless of the quality of the M's, but the number of Mariners fans at the games is going down. When we start winning more there will be enough fans to make the out of town team fans think twice about how much shit they want to take for painting their chest blue and rooting for a loosing team.

do those spokane chiefs shirts come in a wife-beater w/ prestained pits model?

swear to god, man...

not sure but you should see the damage I'm doing to the Spokane Shock (arenafootball2, does it get any more minor league than that?) logo in photochop...two in the pink, a fist in the stink!!!