Rainier ski routes

hakioawa

I've been planning to ski from the summit of Rainer for a while now. So far the plan has been to ski the Emmons route. With today's sun I've got this huge urge to ditch work and head up. But getting to the Emmons route is proving problematic. So the question is, what are the best ski routes from paradise? Anyone have any experience in sking above Muir? We can find a decent line I might just have to get out of here now!

Also, anyone know if the road to the white river camp ground open? If not how long would the ski in be?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kautz also is skied/boarded somewhat regularly, don't first-hand know of other routes on the south side. I've been up Big R several times but have never skied it, and have a jones to glisse it from the top, too. However, I'm not expecting "happy turns." Nils Larsen, one of my ski hero/mentors, skied the Kautz about 10 years ago saying it was "the hardest thing I've ever skied." The Kautz was also the route of the first snowboard descent by Steve & Terri Mathews, et. al., about 10 years ago or so. I would think the Kautz would be in condition before White River campground opens on the other side of the mountain...

-pindude

After my last post, I realized Fuhrer Finger, as well as the DC, have been skied. Although there are spots on each of those 2 routes where I know I'd probably be bootin' it.

Here's some more info on the web.

from Lowell Skoog: http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/subjects/R-frame.html

From Amar Andalkar's website:http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/Rainier/Rainier.html

Don't know if BD's Andrew McLean has anything on it on his site, as he does more of the extreme stuff and I generally can't follow his tracks anyway...

-pindude

My guess is that White River won't open till mid to late May...

I've skied the Emmons, Ingraham, Fuhrer Finger, and the Kautz. Right now, I'd have to agree with AllYouCanEat, Ingraham is your best bet. You could also climb Gib. Ledges and either ski the chute or ski the Ingraham. Generally, it's a better idea to climb what you plan to ski. Later this spring, the Finger or the Kautz are very doable ski descents...not to mention the Emmons, of course.

• 4 weeks later...