Hood headwall conditions?

mantaraynick

Hi, I plan to be driving by Mt Hood the August 6-7. What are the conditions like on headwalls that time of year (this year)? I know the standard route and lower grade glaciers get really soft in through the day. Do the headwalls stay icy in the shade or will this be rotten snow?

I have some options for a rout and might do the South Side day one and then try for the North Face. Any reports would be appreciated.

Nick

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the truth, he's not kidding. You might seriously consider spending a day hiking up to Barrett Spur on the North side and hanging out for a bit. (it's safetly out of the way of falling ice and rocks).

The first 200 foot high ice cliff which sluffs off and sweeps everything in it's path will make you happy to be alive.

I'm remember exploring some ice caves on the Elliot a while back - that's a great idea. Is the snow rotten though? If rockfall is due to melt-freeze cycles, it could be avoided with the right route or climb time. I won't push the impossible but it would be nice to find a steep summit climb. What's Sunshine like? Cheers,

Nick

The north side routes are all winter routes. However, as was stated above, the Eliot Glacier should have some ice climbing opportunities, assuming the usual cautions. There's a broken section in the middle of the glacier that would be fun to play on. It's unbelieveable in winter under good conditions - ice chutes all around the glacier, in addition to the sublime N face routes.

Of course, watching massive ice and rock fall from a reasonable distance is also fun....

If rockfall is due to melt-freeze cycles, it could be avoided with the right route or climb time.

It's pretty much just melt cycles at this time of year. Nasty, nasty. If you hike up Cooper Spur or Barrett Spur, you can hang out and witness just how nasty it is. Pretty constant crap falling down; sometimes spectacular.

What's Sunshine like?

Interestingly this year, Sunshine has some particularly massive crevasses up high which push you over onto Eliot HW and the large runnel systems that form after about April over there. Not sure what's going on up there. I wouldn't recommend it. You could get onto Cathedral Ridge on the far right and slog your way up that thing, but unless you like climbing piles of raisin bran it's just not a lot of fun.

I think a more fun day could be had ice climbing on the Eliot but some people are determined to slog choss.

You might have a fun time climbing through the Coe Icefall that time of year. It would certainly be a good challenge.

climbing any route on hood this time of year is like humping your sister - yeah, you can do it, but it doesn't make you feel proud smile.gif

Tell us about that Ivan!shocked.gifsmirk.gif

You might have a fun time climbing through the Coe Icefall that time of year. It would certainly be a good challenge.

I'd pick that time and place carefully or plan on seeing what it looks like under an ice block. That Elliot icefall idea is a real good idea for getting in some great ice climbing in a (realativly) safe environment. shocked.gifsmirk.gif