moving to Bend. Please advise

mso4man

Howdy all it looks like you are gaining a couple of neighbors. I would like to say hello and ask a couple of questions.

Hello.

My biggest question is that we are looking for a home in the Bend area but want to have rock very close by. We looked at the Crooked River Ranch but that is kinda far from Bend where I will be working.

I am wondering if there is any other pockets of rock in other towns such as Redmond or even south of Bend. We are very interested in Terrebonne but if there is anything closer to Bend proper or with less of a commute I would like to check it out.

I interviewed last week and will be offered the cashish tomorrow and have only had a couple of days in town. So we don't know the area all that well. Now we will have to get out of here (the Gunks) and move to the Bend area and find a house while all of our things are still packed in the moving truck. I don't want to take to long and I don't just want to move again as soon as I arrive so I thought I would ask for help.

Any thoughts? Please advise.

peace

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is rock climbing in all of the places you mentioned.

it depends more on what exactly your looking for. what do you like to do? do you want to be in a small city, a town or "in the sticks."

if you fill us in on more what your looking for, it will be easier to direct you.

Thanks for your reply. I am not all that sure of exactly where we want to end up. We moved recently from a town of 800 in Western Mass to the Gunks where we have a 200ft cliff on our land and two towns six miles apart each way.

We visited Bend/Redmond/Terrebonne last week and my position will be in Bend. Bend seems like a sweet little city and we only had time to look at one house. It was nice but it was all stacked on top of other houses and I don't want to live like that. We have two dogs one a pitbull and one is a German Shepard so they need to be fenced in.

So if we can live im or really close to Bend AND have some rock to climb very very close by we would be happy.

We would also consider either Redmond or Terrebonne but the further out from Bend I get adds distance to my commute to that awful four letter word called work (such an innocent sounding word isn't it?).

The main considerations in order are. First decent climbing (doesn't have to be too big just enough to climb when I can't get to Smith). Room for the dogs. As far away from neighbors as we can get (while being in a reasonable commuting distance). decent rental rates in a decent house.

Our other interests are Rock/ice/alpine/big wall climbing. Running, biking, fishing, hiking, ect.

Also if I may ask where are the areas to climb in Bend (ie near the smokestacks or some other reference that I might be able to figure out only having been to Bend once for three days). Also where in Redmond ect?

Thank you very much for your input and your time.

peace

there is decent bouldering at 3-5 locations within 3-10 miles to the west of bend. there are a couple small-ish highball/TR basalt column areas in this zone as well. most are within 1-2 miles (or even 100 feet) of the deschutes river. follow the river to find the rock.

not much climbing to the east of bend unless you drive 25-30 miles at a minimum (just for cliffband bouldering).

not much to the south unless you drive an hour or so, again just for boulders.

and of course smith is to the north.

what i'm saying is that if you live within 5 miles of downtown bend, there is a lot of rock, and most of it is to the west of town.

the earlier information i gave you had to do with bouldering and single pitch stuff because with very few exceptions - like smith - that is all you get within 100 miles of bend. so for that reason, you may as well just live in bend and at least have the best access to that kind of climbing. (though there is a large cliff 12 miles west of bend that has multis. a little obscure for those who like ratings and names, but great for those who like adventure)

so for every climbing-related reason, i'd pick bend.

Thanks for the info. I know that I would like to live in Bend proper but I just wanted to make sure that I could get my fix. I would hate to move across the country only to find it more diffucult to climb than it is in the east (my present place excluded).

Again thanks for the input.

peace

smith is way harder on your tips/fingers than anything out east...you will only be able to climb there 3 or 4 days a week w/o healing up time...bend is more than close enough and there are *enough* climbers in bend to commute with to smith...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crackers, sorry the gunks house warming party never materialized. Gonna try to throw a going away shindig together for the weekend of the 19-20th. Pm us if you are gonna be game.

MLC from neice.com made these up from the last darkside party. Good times, Good times.

mso's