DIE!

John Frieh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you manage that?

was this from your fall when you were climbing with Blake? The one that held your fall?

I don't know! frown.gifcry.gif I can't think of any recent falls on that piece... the fall on gunsight was caught by a marginal red alien after a #6 nut above that popped.

It was hard to capture the bend completely with my camera but that lobe is warped!

Wow, impressive John. You must have loaned to to Ivan for direct aid? Or maybe like sleepwalking, except it's sleepclimbing? Do you wake up all worked and sore in the am and smell like sweat and old rope despite having gone to bed early?

I'm curious, are you advocating buying Metolius? I see that a lot form smart folks who use to use BD cams. I understand Metiolius stuff is just super bomber. Just bought a Supercam today, it's waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy solid, but I still like BD camalots.

Remind me to bring it along next time you're around so you can fondle it like I did your C3's the other day.

I've had my suspicions about each succeding generation of Camalots and the C4's are no exception - the whole design of the business end of them has always creeped me out as adequate, but in no way burly. All the more reason for Metolius to get off the stick on the medium and large Super Cams and then quickly start on two even larger sizes. I hate having to resort to Camalots at the high end of the size range.

No, I'm saying I don't like the design. I think the axles are too thin a stock and that I don't like the way the cams are attached to them and I never have. Their early U stem versions used to come apart and I've heard a number of antecdotal stories over the years of the last gen coming apart. I don't see any significant changes to the business end of the C4s to give me any more confidence in them. I have and use the larger two of them and I'm always eyeing the Wild Country versions which are way burlier but have a funky cam tip/hand interaction when placing them in tight quarters.

So I figured out... or I should say I at least narrowed it down.

I used that piece at least once to hammer on the end of my nut tool to remove a stuck nut on Bear. My suspicion is that motion bent the lobe... but then again I wasn't wailing on the thing so I have a hard time saying definitively that was what caused it. I have my doubts as I would have really had to have wailed on it to bend it as much as I did and I have been doing this for years and never had a problem... who knows. cantfocus.gif Maybe all this ice climbing season preparation has beefed up my swing rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

I didn't think of it at first as I am doing my best to forget that trip all together... or at least the rap anchors and the bush... pitty.gif

And fat? Not last time I checked... some of you turds should call me to go climbing and you can see first hand just how fat I am... or not. hahaha.gifwazzup.gif