Climb/Hike underwear?

Blake

bit of a random question I know... but what kind of underwear do the guy out there like to wear for days of long hikes or long climbs. general summertime alpine adventures? I get annoyed with normal cotton boxers and I'm looking for suggestions.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Blake,

I don't know how unique it is, but a few years back, I picked up a pair of Gramicci swim trunks. They're nylon/quickdry (obviously), comfortable to hike in (double use as underwear and shorts), have a cinch waist, and don't seem to bunch up too badly if I have a heavier pair of, say, Scholler pants over top of them for a colder summit day. They let the boys breathe nicely thumbs_up.gif

I usually don't have any trouble with cotton. That said I was given a pair of capilene made by Mountain hardware that has silver entrained in the fibres. It really works good to reduce the mank factor. I usually wear them on multiday trips.

Cotton kills. You are all sketchy. There are countless cases of testicular hypothermia documented in ANAM, isn't that enough to convince you?

Every piece of synthetic fiber that comes into contact with my ass retains a whiff of that lovely aroma forever. Heat and exertion only cause the dormant stank to reassert itself with greater fury each time. Perhaps silver-lined shorts, as ketch suggests, are the cure, but I'm sure they're not cheap.

Cotton and wool, on the other hand, come out of the wash fresh as a daisy and stay mellow for a while. I've never had a problem with comfort with natural fabric undies, any season of the year. Except that one time I skied down St. Helens in my underwear and fell a lot.

Cotton briefs with those "nice flat seams" are definitely available.

My success has been with the ex-officio (sp?) stuff. I wore the same pair this past weekend (July 21-22-23) in some pretty warm conditions. My girlfriend kissed me when I got home and the dogs did not run away in terror which is a change from the REI brand ones I used a few times that drove tent mates to bivvy.

I know from friends in the clothing industry that the silver threads mentioned earlier seem to do the trick as a rule.

Hope this helps.

-r

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...