Chillout Music

JayB

I need to expand the chillout mix to power me through the Big-Dig fueled cluster en route to points north this weekend, so chime in with your favorite chill-out music. For an added bonus, include where and how you first heard it.

1. Nightmares on Wax - Smoker's Delight or Carboot Soul . Unfortunately I can't quite remember where I first heard this stuff. Somewhere in Colorado, I think.

2. Manu Chao - Clandestino. Overheard while downing Imperials and watching the sunset over the Pacific in Costa Rica.

3. Zero Seven - Simple Things. Playing at a Cafe in Whistler the morning after proposing to my wife, and minutes before heading up to the Glacier for some summertime turns on a beautiful day. Mellow bordering on depressing as it brings back good memories from the West, and reminds me how much I hate pretty much everything about the East Coast.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

Getz & Gilberto

Bebel Gilberto

United Future Organisation

Dmitri From Paris

Tapping into the hate vain? Quit swiping my turf. You should try LA. The pollution, expense, sprawl, and nastiness of the East Coast combined with the tabla rasa society, intellectual vacuousness and kneejerk politics of the West Coast. At least I can get a bottleblond silicone breast blowjob between freerange organic electroshocked half caffeinated pesto chicken breast and an authentic colon clogging chili colorado chimichanga rockband.gif

Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works 85-92. Not to be confused with SAW Vol. II, which is a little disturbing.

Yo La Tengo, And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

I second the Getz/Gilberto combo.

Some random songs, maybe you can find 'em on iTunes or something:

IQU, Loving You

Sebastien Tellier, La Ritournelle

Brian Eno, Deep Blue Day (on the Trainspotting soundtrack)

Don't forget the System of a Down for when you just can't take it anymore. the_finger.gif

I am surprised nobody so far has mentioned the ultimate chill out CD ever, Kruder and Dorfmiester-KD Sessions.

I also just got done transfering about 10Gb of mainly chill shite from Europe, that is absolutely killa shite.

Ez3kiel

High Tone

Gotan Project

David Last

Crooklyn Dub International

Bourbonese Qualk

DJ Olive

DJ Wally (on Smoker's Delight)

Just a few of what I got all pretty great stuff. Also what everyone mentioned to Aphex Twins cool stuff can be a little dark, but I like that, FSOL on the more trippy eltro psyche, DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is another classic, I am also into DJ Krush like shadow though with hip-hop and japenese influence, Eno is brillant, but it is so damn hard to choose which discs to buy, Bill Laswell has produced and played in a ton of bands, his dub works are great also SXL a project that he was involved in, Oh I just a good one on the Global Underground label Afterhours, chill and little dark, 3 disc 2 music 1 DVD. There is a ton of stuff out there beside Smoker's and Zero7.

Some neat instrumentals -

Soulfly "Soulfly"

They have one on each album, there are 5 now. All very cool. Get them off a download service, since the rest of the music is decidedly NOT chill.

Second for the Zero 7 and the Dorfmeister. Rad stuff there. You should also check out Frou Frou. It's quite a lot like Zero 7, but only one vocalist throughout.

And ther eis always the classic triphop stuff - Portishead and The Sneaker Pimps.

I second the Thom Yorke album. Very very good stuff!

If you've never heard Sigur Rós, it may be worth a listen. Definitely not for everybody, but chill and interesting.

Finally - it's not chill out by any means, but I will throw in "10,000 days", the latest Tool album out there. It's definitely my favorite album of the moment, but if you are looking to avoid audio-fueled rage at construction traffic, it may not be the best of bets. smile.gif

Figger Eight has the worst taste in music of anyone I know. I like the guy - he's the man - but how much Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews can one guy listen to?

"Four Tet" is good - lots 'o other good stuff too...

Actually, I have a ton of suggestions but the real reason I just HAD to post was because Figger Eight, Mr. Jack Johnson, was actually giving out advice about music. yellaf.gif

Who is Jack Johnson?

Jack Johnson is the greatest musical luminary of the past 400 years. Never before in the annals of human history has a surfer dude with an acoustic guitar written songs of such profound meaning, of such compositional complexity, of such powerful cultural import. Jack Johnson is a musical zeitgiest- the likes of which we have not seen since Ben Harper- yet so much more than "music for the sensitive guy."

All of Jack Johnson's songs are pure, original, and so clearly distinct from one another that it is hard to believe he wrote them all. Who has done a better job of extracting deep meaning from mundane routine of daily life? Who can make a more astute observation about the subtleties of the hardworking blue collar surfer tribulations? And truly, who can lay down such unparalleled rockin' guitar riffs? Page? Hendrix? Slash? Van Halen? Waste my time not with these mere triflers. Rank amateurs in comparison to the sheer greatness of Jack Johnson.

All bow down to Jack.

jack-johnson-header.jpg

I consider myself to be pretty uber into chillout/ambient/downtempo and these are my picks for some fine stuff, some common and some not so, but really nice variety tho. Good choices in the above posts, its nice to see some recognition of an oft ignored genre.

Tipsy

Dub Trees

Younger Brother

OTT

Shpongle

Steve Roach

Inlakesh

Kruder & D0rf

Thievery Corporation

Zero 7

Cafe Del Mar Series

Older Autechre: Incunabula (my fave, Bass Cadet)

Synesthesia: Ephemeral

Sven Vath: Touch Themes