Stuff to do in/around Rio

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if my feeble memory serves, the scramble to the top of Pao de Acucar (sp? aka Sugar Loaf, the signature monolith of the city) is ~4th class and pretty straightforward; one exposed move where some might like a rope or shoes. excellent views of the 2 main beaches (ipanema and copacabana), and you can ride the tram down for free. i also climbed rock routes (approx. 4-7 p.) on the Loaf, featured rock w/ drilled/glued bolts (i had nuts along and used 'em).

i didn't climb the cliff Corcovado (again, sp?), but understand that's scenic as well. you drive from the top. there are access issues, though, for tourons,as you must tread some dangerous areas to get to the base (as of approx. '99). check carefully before you embark on that one.

who to check w/? i hooked up w/ climbers via a club in downtown rio--a search or hotel help w/ a phone book could pop it up. escalada something or other...

also some fun hikes to good views there. if you had time there's more in the interior of rio state. nothing big anywhere, but the beaches are where it's at anyway. have fun.

I was there last summer (their winter) in late August. It was 38 degrees and the beaches were packed with people playing soccer and volleyball. At night we hit the samba clubs and drank coconut milk on Copacabana Beach. The view from the top of Sugarloaf is stunning at night!

There is bouldering around the sugarloaf if you are going solo. I went to the bottom of some of the more popular crags and I was lucky to meet up with some friendly locals that didn`t mind climbing as a group of 3. Otherwise if you`re looking for partners go to the climbing clubs.

The guidebook I bought is call "Urca, Guia de Escaladas" and it is in Portugeuse. The website is called Guiadaurca.com.

Good luck and have fun! Rio is amazing!

bigdrink.gif