Seattlites: Borrow More Money!

JayB

Listen to her:

"If cars evoke who we are today — SUV's for the hip and fertile, Buicks for the conservatives and mini-Coopers for the aspiring gazillionaires — houses are being built to reflect who we aspire to be. We hope someday to be the hobbyist puttering around the hobby room or the fitness buff splayed on a yoga mat in the garden room. We want to be the grande dame gliding down the winding staircase to greet a guest in the two-story foyer.

And thanks to the miracle growth of real estate, many of us can. The aphorism that a rising tide lifts all boats is a principle at work here. People are using equity in existing homes to move up. Median home prices in King County shot up 16 percent last year. Try to mimic that on Wall Street."

URL

And not these guys:

Missive From the Realm the Evil Number People

You'll be helping me out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you guys still reproducing down there

There's plenty of smileysex5.gif down here - bet you downloaded some last night tongue.gif

not so much breeding unless you hablar.

We're like a cancer, Oregon's been infected, soon it will be gone yellaf.gif

Reproduction is inversely proportional to the median home value in this country.

Who needs kids when you can wallow in the sublime fulfillment offered by debt-financed granite countertops,

stainless fridges, bamboo floors, and...your very own...yoga room. Get that 50 year I/O, neg-AM, option ARM for 10X your combined full-time incomes and lock that sucker in before it's too late.

I'm just trying to spread the gospel, brother. After all, "They're not making anymore land!"

The Japanese - no stranger to land shortages - can attest to the fact that "They're not making anymore land!" has resulted in consistent appreciation, irrespective of any trivialities like trend wage-growth, etc.

The Japanese - no stranger to land shortages - can attest that the fact that "They're not making anymore land!" has resulted in consistent appreciation, irrespective of any trivialities like trend wage-growth, etc.

Heh, Buttonwood of today:

THIS columnist—though entirely happy in himself, of course—nevertheless regrets that his employer had not posted him to Tokyo during an earlier, altogether wilder era: you know, when the Nikkei was at nearly 40,000, when a value was placed on the Imperial Palace grounds equal to the whole of California or Canada, and when you ate gold-leaf sushi only off the backs of naked women.

Interesting post from a Seattle real estate blog. When a couple that includes an M.D., and an engineer with a graduate degree, with no children - can't buy something for what they think is a reasonable/justifiable price... Then it's clear that the YOY gains are just getting started!!!! Buy! Buy! Buy!

" This blog is a clearinghouse for whiny twenty-nothings to vent their insecurities while waxing about things they vaguely understand...(blah, blah, blah)

Am I such a whiny bastard that I feel that I should be able to afford a decent home in the city of my choice? I grew up in the Northwest. I've lived here all my life. I met the love of my life here in this city. You just don't get it. I WANT to live in Seattle. Get it? Not only that, we HAVE to. Why? Because my wife has the type of job (a Doctor!) that warrants us to live within 15 minutes of all hospitals within the Seattle metro area. She is on call almost every other day and gets paged constantly. She DOES NOT WANT to live in all the other areas you mentioned. I DON'T either. I'm an engineer who doesn't have the in-city living requirement, but damn it, if my wife is stressed out after working a 36 hour shift at Harborview, and if it means that living close can prevent endless hours of wailing and sobbing about life's miseries, then YES, I will pay that much extra to live in town. All we want is a decent section of area to lay our tired asses on after a hard day's work. But damn you if you think I'm gonna pay $749,950 for a piece of crap box that's been flipped by 2-3 investors from California who care NOTHING for this city, NOTHING for my town, NOTHING for the Northwest, and NOTHING for the beautiful gray skies and loving rain. And damn it, after earning a graduate degree in engineering and earning a very good salary from a prestigious company...after my wife working long, long, long, long hours as an undergraduate student, as a medical student and now as a medical resident...damn it, we deserve a starter home in Seattle! We've earned it! We deserve our piece of crap condo made of cheap composite materials with stainless steel appliances and granite counters. And damn it, we deserve it at an affordable price!!! And we ARE doing our best to save for a house (we're renting right now, of course), but we feel that after so much hard work, we shouldn't have to break our backs just to support our first home. We don't even have any kids yet! How can we afford to? You must be the type of person that thinks only the rich should live in the city. What a bunch of crap! I hope to God Seattle wakes up from this greed-induced real estate mania. "

"The economy hiccups and people are going to be walking away from their mortgages."

Not that easy to walk away in the US anymore as a decreasing amount of mortgage debt in this country is of the non-recourse variety, and the bank can come after you for the difference between your loan value and what they can sell the property for. Even if they can't come after you for the debt, the IRS considers the amount of debt that the bank "forgives" taxable, so you're still on the hook for that.

What's the law like in Canada?

I heard: me me me I want I need I deserve gimme gimme gimme. cry.gif

Fuck off to Lebanon (Oregon or MidEast) if you want a cheap house. Life owes you nothing. wazzup.gif

er, so where will Seattle be when everyone fucks off? Only a few areas are desirable enough and have the economy to support high housing prices. In 2008-09 when the Aerospace industry crashes, again (you think record sales are sustainable? yellaf.gif ), Microsoft has slashed Redmond jobs to keep margins in control when nobody is willing to pay for Windows Vista, and the millionaires minted have all moved to Tuscany, what, exactly, will support Seattle? Starbucks? yelrotflmao.gif

Look to the rustbelt where you can buy FLW homes for <$300k

I heard: me me me I want I need I deserve gimme gimme gimme. cry.gif

Fuck off to Lebanon (Oregon or MidEast) if you want a cheap house. Life owes you nothing. wazzup.gif

I agree that it's not what you feel like you deserve, but what you can afford to pay that matters when determining where you'll live. I might feel as though I deserve a Manhattan penthouse and a Villa up at Whistler, but doubt I'd be able to parlay that sense of entitlement into a deed anytime soon.

The striking thing to me wasn't the fact that there are people that have these feelings, but the fact that they were occuring in a couple with a combined earning power that's almost certainly north of $200K, who are looking for a starter home in Seattle. I think that's something new.

But forget all of that!! Get busy and lasso yourselves into a neg/am, I/O, payment option ARM with substantial prepayment penalties and an auto-reset when the LTV hits 110%!!! Seattle needs way more "investment" property that rents for way, way, way less than the mortgage, taxes, and maintenance add up to. If we have to pay more than 1/3 of the real costs of ownership for a rental home in that town in '08 and thereafter I'm going to be seriously bummed.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

I NEED SOME MORE

GIMME GIMME GIMME

DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

SITTING HERE I'M A LOADED GUN

WAITING TO GO OFF

I'VE GOT NOTHING TO DO

BUT SHOOT MY MOUTH OFF

GIMME GIMME GIMME

I NEED SOME MORE

GIMME GIMME GIMME

DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

YOU KNOW I'M GONNA GO OUT

GET SOMETHING FOR MY HEAD

IF I KEEP ON DOING THIS

I'M GONNA END UP DEAD

GIMME GIMME GIMME

I NEED SOME MORE

GIMME GIMME GIMME

DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

I KNOW THE WORLD'S GOT PROBLEMS

I'VE GOT PROBLEMS OF MY OWN

NOT THE KIND THAT CAN'T BE SOLVED

WITH AN ATOM BOMB

GIMME GIMME GIMME

I NEED SOME MORE

GIMME GIMME GIMME

DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Seattle needs way more "investment" property that rents for way, way, way less than the mortgage, taxes, and maintenance add up to. If we have to pay more than 1/3 of the real costs of ownership for a rental home in that town in '08 and thereafter I'm going to be seriously bummed.

I thought that was what Bend was for?