stuart temps please

dwhenline

I am from NY and coming to seattle to climb the north ridge of stuart. I plan on bivying at the notch after the glacier crossing.

what kind of night time temps can I expect? your answers will help me determine what type of sleeping system to bring. just give me your best ideas based on your experiences. It generally looks pretyy warm on the route during the day,, is that correct?

don henline

DWHENLINE@hotmail.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should use the sleeping system that works best for the temperature at the time. You can expect temps from -20F to 80F, so plan accordingly. I would bring a light weight down bag and pack extra insulation so that if it does get really cold, you can stuff the bag with the extra down.

When are you going to be out to do the climb? Temps up there are pleasant. In a few months it won't be quite as nice.

I was up there recently and was perfectly good in a 1lb down bag. It is good advice to bring some extra insulation in case it gets chilly.

If you've got a half bag and a mid-weight insulating jacket, along with some kind of insulating pad and a bivy sack of some sort you should be ready to handle 95% of the weather you'd see on Stuart this time of year. If you've got a lightweight (+35-40F) full bag that would work well in conjunction with the rest of the stuff as well.

Coming from the NE, I assume that you already have a bug head-net, but if not - pick one up and bring it along if you'll be bivvying. I bivvyied at that notch in late July and once dusk arrived the mosquitos were absolutely insane. Like Hitchcock Movie Insane. Without the bug-net I doubt I would've slept at all, which would have made the following day much less enjoyable.

Good luck and have a good time.

Bring a lightweight bag like these guys said. Supplement with a bivy sack or tent that will keep off the possible rain (so you don't die), and keep out the mosquitos.

Chances are you'll use the sleeping bag only for a blanket, but the combination of the two (bag with sack or tent) will be warm enough should it get REALLY cold (i.e. 20F for around here).

If the weather is looking nice, a lot of people save the weight bring just the sack and plan for minor suffering. But that's not for me when a 35F bag weighs only a pound nowadays.

Oh and regarding the bug head net, don't go cheap. You'll suffer without the "Reinforced smoking/straw hole" feature. S2SHeadNet.jpg

this guy is obviously jonesing for a smoke

Thanks for the info on the bug nets, I will now throw one in (although, I would not have previously thought of it.) basically I am choosing between my 2 lb 4 ounce 10 deg down bag which is bulky and taking a bivy sack and a very lightwight synthetic bag (actually a bag liner by moonstone). I have used the bivy and synthetic light bag previously in the alps, it actually weighs as much as the two pound down bags but takes up less room in the pack. I so far have been too cheap to get the one pound down bag. perhaps I should rethink that situation. 20 means use my down bag and no bivy sack. 40 deg means bivy sack and liner bag.

Can I buy a one pound down bag at the last moment in seattle? does feathered friends always have one in stock?

don

I will guess that the average overnight temps. at the notch for the month of July will be 40 degrees F. 38 for August. Have fun, and be sure to share any rodent excitment.

Edited by pms

Thanks for the info on the bug nets, I will now throw one in (although, I would not have previously thought of it.) basically I am choosing between my 2 lb 4 ounce 10 deg down bag which is bulky and taking a bivy sack and a very lightwight synthetic bag (actually a bag liner by moonstone). I have used the bivy and synthetic light bag previously in the alps, it actually weighs as much as the two pound down bags but takes up less room in the pack. I so far have been too cheap to get the one pound down bag. perhaps I should rethink that situation. 20 means use my down bag and no bivy sack. 40 deg means bivy sack and liner bag.

Can I buy a one pound down bag at the last moment in seattle? does feathered friends always have one in stock?

don

If you are bringing along a lightweight insulating jacket - which is a good idea IMO - the jacket plus the synthetic bag should be sufficient, and the fact that it's smaller is another plus.

I used an old 25-degree down bag for the same route in late July and it was toasty. Left the bivy at home because it added too much bulk and we had a bomber weather forecast. I carried my 42L pack... I'd rather carry more weight for less bulk in general.

I few years ago in August my partner I were trying to do the complete car-to-car in 24 hrs. It was a little bigger bite than we could handle blush.gif . It became apparent we would have to bivy somewhere, so even though it was only mid-afternoon we choose the ledges where the north ridge joins because there was snow we could melt. Bivy was a driclime shirt and light foil sack. The foil sack lasted a hour or two - still wasn't that bad. I'd induce shivering every hour or so to warm up cantfocus.gif .

If your going in August with stable, warm weather I'd bring the lightest bag possible - your liner bag sounds perfect. If any chance of weather add the bivy sack.

Bring the light bag and the bivy sack. Then check the forcast just before you climb. If its cool like the last few days (60's for a high in the mountains) it'll freeze like it did at 6500 ft near Washington pass two days ago. If its going to be hot like the comming weekend (high 70's in the mountains) leave the sleeping bag and just use the bivy or stick your feet in your pack and wear a warm coat.

I just did it with a 15 degree bag this past weekend (14k freezing levels). WAY too warm. If I had to do it again with the same weather I would have just brought a fleece bag and a simple bug tent of some kind. If the temps in Seattle are pushing 90, dont worry so much about keeping warm, worry about being EATEN ALIVE. Bring a bug net, or 10 gallons of DEET.