Give it up for your Oklahoma City Supersonics!

Mr_Phil

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Seattle PI:

"Although there is already a new arena in Oklahoma City awaiting an NBA team, Seattle officials haven't yet given up on keeping the team here under the new ownership, Bichsel said. "We're going to be talking with them about that lease and about terms of a future lease to see what their intentions are. We don't know at this point what the new owners' intentions are."

The city should put a lien on the team so that anyone who buys one of the sports teams has to pay off the outstanding debt on the stadiums that they play in first.

I'd love to see an analysis of the populist retardonomics that people used to support public funding for professional sports facilities. The Public's ROI on these stadiums will make people who stayed long on pets.com to the bitter end seem like guru's by comparison.

I bet the players are stoked that they'll be getting to spend quite a bit of their time in Oklahoma City.

Seattle was never a peach to most of them. Guess Seattle's no longer a big city with no Basketball team. Oh well.

Maybe at some point they'll finally force an NFL team on LA - wonder if they'll pay us? yelrotflmao.gif

Are sports teams really populist? Except for a few rustbelt cities like Buffalo, a majority of the fans in attendance have been uppermiddle, or upper class, white and male. Hardly the populist demographic. Increasingly team support is based on things like a winning record, or historical, rather than current alignments.

"We're on a collision course with time and we can't wait. If people want to make me the villain, that's their prerogative, but I'm here to tell you that we've tried for almost two years to meet the elected officials halfway and we're not getting anything back."

-- Howard Schultz

I didn't realize it took two years to get to Tacoma, just to rob tax payers blind. I hope you didn't forget your Snidely Whiplash costume.

"With less than a month to go, it's very clear to us that the city and state officials are not showing us the kind of respect we feel we deserve."

--Howard Schultze

Translation: "With less than a month to go, it's very clear to us that the city and state officials are not showing us the free sacks of money we feel we deserve."

We have our own economic study that strongly suggests we generate over $200 million a year in economic real value to this region

--Howard Schultze

We paid some Olympia lobbyist $200 million dollars to write us a report. D'oh!

"We purposefully created an investor group that had its own constituency and its own links to elected officials so that we would be in a position to reach out in a very respectful fashion. It is beyond comprehension that

they are saying no.

-- Howard Schultze

So, Howard, which part of the whole political process don't you understand? The part about not always getting your own way?

SOLD!

Can we make a package deal with the Mariners?

"[T]he source indicated the new ownership group plans to keep the Sonics and Storm in the Seattle region."

Yeah, right. This is an obvious smoke-screen meant to make the city look like the bad-guy who "forced" the Sonics to move to OK City by not bending over for the new owners...

I am a fan of the NBA and regret seeing the team leave...reckon Portland will be the only NBA team left in the NW now....

Well, the Sonics were the only pro mens team (out of baseball, football, and basketball at least) to have won a national title. I remember as a kid listening to all the games that year on the radio...1979....Gus Williams, Jack Sikma, Downtown Freddie Brown (who I was a co-worker with at the Bank of America), Dennis Johnson, Paul Silas, Wally Walker, another player with the last name Johnson, and Coach Lenny Wilkens. It was pretty cool.

Of course, this whole reneging on a signed lease B.S. is just stupid. But that is just business. I've gone to a few games in the past 10 years, but for the most part they are too expensive for even the nosebleed seats. Pro sports in general is so overblown with the dollars it is sick.

They were never "Seattle's" team. They have always been owned by private business folks.

Business people are primarily concerned with how much money they can make, if they can get the fans to bond to the team and believe that the team is "their team", they will make more money. They tend to be successful in this.

Clay Bennett was instrumental in bringing the Hornets to OK City when New Orleans flooded. The Hornets were selling out an 18,000+ coliseum and all 10,000 available season tickets sold in 10 days. Bennett use to be part owner of San Antonio as well.

So say good-by to the team. They were never your's Seattle, but now you know it for sure.

Sorry if that sounds cynical, but it's the truth.