Validate My Trip Plan?

JAL

Hey, is anyone willing to validate my trip plan for the Coleman-Deming route on Mt Baker? Or is there a place where you can get completed trip plans?

Here goes... is my first one so rip it up...

ASCENT

Leg 1 - 202 degrees from 6000' to 7000' ~1/2 mile and 40 minutes

Leg 2 - 270 degrees from 7000' to 9000' ~1 1/2 miles and 1 1/2 hours, Right handrail ridge and black buttes

Leg 3 - 218 degrees from 9000' to 8700' through saddle ~1/8 mile and 15 minutes, Right handrail Colfax Peak

Leg 4 - 310 degrees 8700' to summit up Roman Wall ~3/4 miles and 1 1/2 hours

DESCENT

Leg 1 - 130 degrees from summit to 8700' ~1 hour

Leg 2 - 38 degrees 8700' over saddle to 9000' ~20 minutes

Leg 3 - 90 degrees 9000' to 7000' ~1 hour

Leg 4 - 22 degrees 7000' to 6000' ~25 minutes

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post definitely invites abuse and ridicule. Probably, no one's going to check your bearings: if you're that concerned, you'll check them yourself. No one's going to check your mileage, either. You might think about whether you really move as fast fully geared up as you're planning. I sure don't, but lots do, and you might.

In practical terms, if the visibility's good, you don't need to worry about anything besides following the cattle track and your own sensibilities upward, then back down again. If visibility is bad, your bearings won't help much because you'll be attending more closely to the boot track in order to weave through crevasses. To predict elapsed time on a simple slog like the Coleman-Deming, assign yourself a rate per hour based on experience (1000, 1200, 1500 vertical feet/hour), and add any allowance you please for snack breaks, photo ops, gear failures or fumbling. From 6000 to 10,700 feet might take 4 hours as you predict....or 8 hours, if associated with Bellingham Parks and Rec.

In other words, YMMV. Have fun.

All kidding aside, it's not a bad idea to be able to make a white-out travel plan. So why not practice and validate your plan against the actual climb you do. Cautionary note: don't fall into a crevasse at for the sake of maintaining your bearing. That would really suck!

It seems to me the worst place to develop such skills would be on a vast expanse of glacier in AK or something similar. So it's probably overkill for the CD route, but go for it, and have fun, and don't get locked into too much precision. Then see how good your plan mapped out against reality.

Just my random thoughts.

-r

The ridicule is fine and I didn't really expect anyone to validate the bearings. I am just trying to learn how to do it and thought a simple route would be a good place to start. Thanks for all of your "input"...

Hey, is anyone willing to validate my trip plan for the Coleman-Deming route on Mt Baker? Or is there a place where you can get completed trip plans?

Here goes... is my first one so rip it up...

ASCENT

Leg 1 - 202 degrees from 6000' to 7000' ~1/2 mile and 40 minutes

Leg 2 - 270 degrees from 7000' to 9000' ~1 1/2 miles and 1 1/2 hours, Right handrail ridge and black buttes

Leg 3 - 218 degrees from 9000' to 8700' through saddle ~1/8 mile and 15 minutes, Right handrail Colfax Peak

Leg 4 - 310 degrees 8700' to summit up Roman Wall ~3/4 miles and 1 1/2 hours

DESCENT

Leg 1 - 130 degrees from summit to 8700' ~1 hour

Leg 2 - 38 degrees 8700' over saddle to 9000' ~20 minutes

Leg 3 - 90 degrees 9000' to 7000' ~1 hour

Leg 4 - 22 degrees 7000' to 6000' ~25 minutes

This is wrong for the Colman/Demming.

For C/D, after you leave the trail and head up the moraine, your basically headed SSE from 6000 feet until you begin to swing more Easterly do to the ridge youll encounter between 7 and 9000 ft.

B'tween like 9000 and 10400 youll be bearing pretty much East, before the final summit walk over to the NE.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5403783&e=584993&size=l&datum=nad83