what i learned this weekend...

underworld

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned that the washington DOT thinks its ok to cause a 2 hour traffic jam on I-5 at midnight Friday night, on a 2 mile section of road that has no exits.

They've got that down to an art. I spent over an hour crawling northbound through Seattle at parade speed, with the express bypass sitting empty next to four solid lanes of backed-up traffic. Turns out there was a crew working on the main highway about a hundred yeards or so before the bypass lane rejoins the main road. If they weren't so unbelievably stupid, they could have opened the bypass and let all that northbound traffic go right by the work site without slowing down. But I guess the rule book says that the bypass is closed at that time of day, so it stayed closed. rolleyes.gif

I learned that sometimes just heading out to cruise some easy stuff with some other old timers is more fun than working some hard route and screwing up your wrist again.

Till it hits close to 100 degrees...and then one of those old dudes asks for a belay "over there" to get some gear off the wall... which turns out later to be a FA which you figure out only after an hour or 2 of standing in the same place belaying watching all that hard work, risk, loose moss/dirt and rock raining down, piton wanging and sweat and the friggan thing feels harder to folllow than the 11C you toprope a few days later.

1. a) a banana slurpee will make me sick.

b) yellow peppers are great on hot cragging days.

c) so is quiche.

2. murin park is a zoo in summertime, even mid-day friday.

3. hot temperatures make termperaments flare.

4. Mountain WOman's poutine rocks but her counterpart to the north is rather pissy with customers - on the soup nazi level.

5. a) Britannia Beach gets a good breeze off the water.

b) them train tracks squeal bad.

c) there is a bad sewage smell in the area when it's hot.

d) Britannia Beach lots are up for resale.

6. a) Garibaldi Park Drive is a raceway for gravel trucks.

b) they find glee in coating mtnb riders in dust.

7. my No.5 BD is more useful than i thought.

8. i have more energy when i'm not mountaineering. grin.gif

Edited by luwayo