Seeking Assiniboine (N. Ridge) beta

banji

Looking to climb N. Ridge of Mt Assiniboine first week of August. Should be dry up there - anyone have any info/experience? have any recommendations for the rack? specifics would be appreciated, I'm a newbie when it comes to leading on rock.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up there two years ago in fairly dry conditions and it was really straightforward. Climbed a half pitch at the second rock band, and shortroped the rest of the way. I placed 2 pieces of gear in total and clipped a piton.

Soloing wouldn't be that big of a deal if it's dry.

There are rap stations to take you below the upper rock band if you don't want to downclimb.

To be honest, the aproach to the hut from Magog lake was harder than the climb.

Hard to beat the Assininboine pass route for scenery.Its fairly casual and the miles go by fast.Once past the

head wall there is no need for mt. boots or crampons in

a dry year.We only belayed a short bit at the upper rock

band and ran the rest.Made 4 to 5 raps on the decent.

Not to hard a route by Rockies standard in the right

conditions.Great peak to bag.

I just climbed it on 7/25. It's not iced up. I didn't bring crampons. There is snow, but I was able to circumnavigate all of it but one teeny section where I just chopped a single step. I'm guessing it's even easier now. I soloed the entire route and rapped down whenever I could. The nature of the climbed described by folks here is accurate. Have a good time! thumbs_up.gif