Adams West Ridge

I am considering the West Ridge on Adams. I have never done it or even seen it, is it worth the time. Also, what is a good time to climb it (right now, next month, etc.). Is there any special gear needed. I climbed Mazama Glacier on the 29th and 30th and it was fantastic, now I'm itching to do another route and the South Side does not interest me at all. Any information/condition on the West Ridge would be greatly appreciated, or if there is another route of similar grade you would recommend over the West Ridge let me know. Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the northwest ridge might be a better choice, though I have not climbed the west ridge (I have skiied both the West Ridge and the Pinnacle Glacier headwall, however). This recommendation is based on the fact that (1) I have climbed the northwest ridge (three times), (2) I know several people that have also climbed it, (3) I think it is a little more distinct, especially higher up, and (4) it is closer to the approach trail. The northwest ridge starts with a few thousand feet of rock hopping, and care must be taken to avoid sending a boulder at your buddy or merely turning one over and crushing a finger or something. However, it is not too bad in comparison to most other volcanic ridges. Higher up, you will encounter snow and be forced slightly left before climbing back up to the crest - there are a few hundred feet of steep snow climbing here and an axe will be absolutely necessary (crampons probably not) but the difficulties are over shortly. From the northwest summit, follow the ridge and zig zag around a few crevasses to reach the true summit.

This is a fun outing, and easy enough that friends of mine have taken kids up (and down) it. I've climbed it in June, July, and October, and in October I could have used crampons on the steep snow higher up. It is steep enough there that if you are not comfortable with the exposure, a couple of pickets and a rope would be good, but otherwise just bring a good sturdy pair of boots.

[This message has been edited by mattp (edited 07-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mattp (edited 07-15-2001).]