Rank the parking lots.....

Jens

Rank the parking lots that your are most likely to have your stuff jacked from your car in.

1st place- Squamish Apron lot

2nd place- Squamish Chief parking lot

3rd place- Squamish campground parking lot

4th place- exit 38 trestle parking lot

5th place- exit 38 far side lot

6th place- snow creek lot 11worth

7th place-index?

8th place?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only ever suffered losses at Boston Mine ( lost a long-out-of-print Beckey Guide cry.gif) and East Fork Foss where they cleaned (stupid) me out pretty good. I guess I'll nominate those. I had a skunk move in my Squareback at Squamish once but he didn't take, or leave, anything. Call that one a draw.

I ditto Snow Creek trail head. I was ripped off bad in 1970. I had an ice axe in my hand when I discovered it...Good thing the perpetrators weren't around! The sheriff said it was hippies living in local communes paying for druuuugs.

Second. would be the bears at the Bugaboo parking lot.

I came down off of climbing the north face of Index to find my drivers side window smashed in at the Lake Serene trailhead. There was nothing in the car to take, so it was just an instance of malicious vandalism. Before I noticed the broken glass, I was having trouble finding my key cos they had used the rock I had hidden my key under to smash the window with. The irony is that the key was still laying where I had left it, just didn't have a rock there to mark the location.

Three or four years ago I was broken into at Vantage (midweek so not a lot of in/out traffic), replaced the stereo and window and the SAME DAY I got everything replaced I was broken into at Exit 38, Far Side. I was ready to wreak havoc. I told the stereo joint I wanted my old crappy radio put back in so there was nothing of value to take!

A couple of years later I came out of the Enchantments and most cars at the trailhead (more than 10) had been broken into and pillaged. We felt sorry for the happy campers yet to discover the nasty surprise.

#1. Squamish chief parking lot- not only did they wave up to us (climbing Uncle Ben's) as they broke in, but they took EVERYTHING!!! Even disassembled the elevated bed platform inside my truck canopy to get to all the stuff underneath. Lost ID/wallet which made getting back across the border a nightmare.

#2. Mailbox Peak trailhead on the Middle Fork road, just outside of North Bend.

#3. Exit 38.

Crazy. It's amazing that the Squamish COC hasn't taken any effective action. Seems like you'd be safer leaving a car with a giant "Free Heroin Inside" sign pasted to the windshield on Capitol Hill than parking a truck with a canopy anywhere near the Chief.

Murray must be the lone, dangerous outsider amidst a group that one can only conclude is seriously incompetent or has determined that climber visitation to the town and patronage of the shops is a dangerous trend that they want to discourage before it gets out of control.

Seriously - how hard would it be to hand someone a radio and pay them $10/hr to hang out in a single parking lot during daylight hours during prime climbing season? Hell - make it a pay lot so that climbers foot part of the bill for the extra security. I'd certainly pay $10 to protect a few hundred bucks worth of gear, and to prevent a few hundred dollars worth of damage to my vehicle. The fact that you've got thieves literally waving to climbers while they jack their belongings shows that things are way out of control.

Agreed,

It is real slap in the face to the local squamish law enforcement, rcmp or whatever that they havesuch a rampant problem. Even if you are only able to catch one of the local kids doing this if you nail em' hard and prosecute to the fullest extent of law, the word may get out. We have a huge problem in King county here with car thefts. The prosecuters have just cahnged thair tactics and bumped up jail time (even for minors) the word is out and the number of cars that are stolen in King co has dropped in the last few months,

Seriously - how hard would it be to hand someone a radio and pay them $10/hr to hang out in a single parking lot during daylight hours during prime climbing season? I'd certainly pay $10 to protect a few hundred bucks worth of gear, and to prevent a few hundred dollars worth of damage to my vehicle. The fact that you've got thieves literally waving to climbers while they jack their belongings shows that things are way out of control.

Or even just put up some video cameras in metal cages in the parking lots with signs that say potential thieves - you are being videotaped. Even if the cameras are fake it would be a good deterant.