Input for approaches for Old Snowy - Ives Peak

fettster

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back on Friday, and there is snow at the 5200ft level but the Snowgrass flats is very scenic.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I will need to decide if I want the slightly shorter and busier route or the longer and quieter one. I've taken the Snowgrass route before, so McCall would be something new for me.

I assume the snow is patchy at 5200. At what level did you notice it was continuous? Did you get up to any of the peaks?

I prefer the McCall Basin approach, but then I used to live in Crackima and that was the quickest drive to the TH. smirk.gif

I always liked the hike up the drainage from the McCall approach, though. It looked like more fun than what I saw when I looked over at the Snowgrass approach.

Wes is right, don't assume that McCall is going to be empty. It's very popular with the horsey set as well. rolleyes.gif

I was just up there last Friday and Saturday with a couple of friends and while a sign posted at the trailhead suggested that we would run into hundreds of people, we ran into only 4 parties. This was approaching from the berry patch trailhead into snowgrass flats. We covered a lot of ground over the two days we were there and so were surprised to not have seen more folks. I would assume they haven't done any trail work in the area yet this year as there were a couple of blowdowns on the trail which would be pretty fussy, I would guess, with horses. We hit up old snowy and checked out curtis gilbert, it's a beautiful area. Whatever you choose have fun and enjoy yourselves despite whatever you may think would detract from the experience.

I was just up there last Friday and Saturday with a couple of friends and while a sign posted at the trailhead suggested that we would run into hundreds of people, we ran into only 4 parties.

That's great to hear. Maybe the crowds will be held off until August sometime. Four parties is not bad at all...finding a camping spot definitely wasn't an issue then I bet.

Do I need to bother with snowshoes anymore (ie, any postholing)?

No need to bother with the snowshoes, in the morning hours the snow is pretty solid, then obviously softens up as the day progresses. There is still a decent amount of snow up high which might be deterring some folks. It seemed like we were the only ones staying up there that night, we bivied just above the old rock shelter and had awesome views of the trio of volcanoes. I'll see if I can find a couple of photos worth posting.