[TR] Mt Rainier ski in-a-day- Emmons 7/9/2006

Tony_Bentley

Climb: Mt Rainier ski in-a-day-Emmons

Date of Climb: 7/9/2006

Trip Report:

Ben called at about 3pm on Saturday afternoon and was wondering if I’d be up to climbing the Emmons glacier Saturday night and summiting sometime Sunday. “Would I? Umm sounds good but you will need to pick me up at 7pm.” He was at the house by 7:15 and we were hiking from the White River campground by 10pm.

Neither of us had ever been on that side of Rainier, which was fine considering all of the tracks showing us the way. The irony is that we still managed to go the “direct” way but felt lost once we were looking down and seeing a faint trail heading down. “This feels wrong.” Is the feeling we were getting but just when we decided to take another look a headlamp went on which gave us the clue we needed to continue scrambling down to Camp Sherman. It turned out that the headlamp was our good friend Dave and he just happened to be getting up to use the bathroom and photo op. We were glad that he showed us the way and saved us the time it might have taken to turn around and go the “other” way.

After a 30 minute break at Camp Sherman we began heading up. At about 12k the sun was starting to show some sign and the photo ops were awesome!

sunrise.jpg

We worked our way up the Emmons without any problems. No rope needed and plenty of ways through the crevasses. Around 13k I was beginning to feel the elevation and dehydration. The last few hundred feet took forever. After a brief rest on the summit we put on our skis and picked our way down being careful about the crevasses.

emmonsroute.jpg

At one point we were through most of the hard snow and the snow was starting to soften to corn. At about 13k the snow was perfect.

benski.jpg

Ben jumping a snow bridge.

benhop.jpg

Emmons Glacier with boot and ski tracks

emmons.jpg

A nice hour break at Camp Sherman and then an awesome ski down the Inter glacier.

interglacier.jpg

The snow was great and although we both felt worked, it was well worth a 9000’ ski run and a 10,000’ climb. We hydrated at the first grocery store and were home by 7:20pm.

Not a bad day trip and a great ski! Thanks Ben for the last minute idea.

Gear Notes:

Crampons

Didn't use ice axes, skins or rope

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I was looking up there over the weekend and regretted not doing the same thing. Now seeing that you had good conditions, I'm really regretting it. When I did a day trip/ski like yours, I ended up skiing the worst snow I've ever skied.

BTW, I have a good route photo for you from sunrise sunday. Let me know if you want it smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...