North Gulley Trundling

So, climbing at Squishy this past weekend and some dude was cleaning / trundling from a route he was developing on the north wall. Cool looking line and definitly worthy thumbs_up.gif, but he had the whole north gulley roped off and closed so he could clean up his route and he was definitly cleaning - consistently sending down lots of big blocks. As a result any climb accessed from North Gulley was de facto CLOSED, as was any early exit off of Angel's Crest.

It was cool that he roped the area off and put up sings warning climbers what was going on since anyone venturing into the North Gulley probably would have gotten smashed.

However, why would someone choose to clean a route in a popular approach gulley on a Saturday in mid-summer? It seems very arrogant and inconsiderate to me. Why not do it on a weekday or a rainy day or both?

Maybe that is considered proper ettiquette at Squamish, but I know if someone did that at Index, such aggression would not stand!

So happened that it wasn't a h uge inconvenience for us or anything, but it still seemed lame.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It accesses popular climbs, dipshit. And people may wish to exit off Angel's Crest due to getting backed up behind slow gaper parties, or if gaper parties epic. Whatever.

Not to be a pain but WHAT popular climbs are UP north gully? I know there's stuff at the very bottom (not even really in the gully) such as northern lights (popular may be a stretch since any hard 11d with a rep by rule isn't "popular")

Everything I've heard about N. Gully was essentially "NEVER GO UP IT and at all costs avoid going down it!"

Maybe the cleaner is giving us reason to go up it?

Rock on, Koyansqatsi, etc. are in the south gully.

North gully is stuff like Zodiac Wall, Yukon Gold etc. Rarely climbed and filthy.

Nevertheless trundling on Saturday is poor form. Maybe it's the same heroes who were trundling in the western dihedrals on the weekends last summer.

when I was climbing Angels Crest the weekend before there were gaper tourists on the Zodiac summit chucking rocks down into the gully. Even our scrubbing hero might not be safe in there on the weekends. Winter is a better time to prep routes on the Chief.

ya so funny hahahahah ... I am literally rolling on the floor that someone from out of town would be a little unfamiliar with the location of routes in squamish where the north walls face east and the south gully faces north and the western dihedrals are at the south end of the cliff ... hehehe ... stop me before I pee my pants .... rolleyes.gif

ya so funny hahahahah ... I am literally rolling on the floor that someone from out of town would be a little unfamiliar with the location of routes in squamish where the north walls face east and the south gully faces north and the western dihedrals are at the south end of the cliff ... hehehe ... stop me before I pee my pants .... rolleyes.gif

Can you give me the GPS cordinates for the start of Dierdre?

It's a good thing you are online to help me, and a good thing I brought my laptop up the route. I can get WiFi from here!

Now, please, what is the GPS coordinate of the base of the dihedral. We are having trouble finding the traverse. My GPS says we are at 270m elevation, exactly 182.65m SSE of the parking lot. The last bolt is aproximately 3.7 meters right of me.