Lots of Gear For Sale!

pope

Big three-day weekend, with a little rain in the mix, and suddenly, there must be 30 items in the yard sale. What's the matter, did you get wet? Did you get a blister? Did you get bit by a mosquito on your big, white ass? I personally purchased most of my alpine gear in the Paradise parking lot, from a bunch of yupsters who thought they might try climbing Mt. Rainier for their first big hill, guys who were more full of ambition than "getgo". I've got a gortex suit I purchased from one feller who just got his ass kicked by the mighty "R", and this designer suit still had the tags on it...of course, he crapped his pants when he punched ankle-deep into Pebble Creek and thought he'd found a crevasse. It was a hell of bargain if you don't mind the smell. Don't make no nevermind to me...I'm wearing it right now, even as I type.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pope! Dude! From what I've been reading on this board, you crapped in your own sleeping bag during an expedition, and now you're buying crapped-in used gear. What's up with that? Actually, I'm not sure I wanna know! You want to score some cheap gear (as in free?) Here's a couple of tips from a pro:

Go to anyplace where the Mountaineers have had one of their mass outings. Scrutinize the vicinity after they've picked up and left and you'll be amazed. 'biners, stoppers, and I've even scored a couple of cams. (You gotta give them back, though, if they come looking for them but I make them identify their size and any personal markings such as colored tape.) "Mounties Buttress" in Icicle Canyon (especially the lower part) is prime hunting territory.) Also, the South Face of the Tooth, another Mountaineers cluster magnet.

Gripped gapers also leave gear while following routes that are way out of their league. The crux traverse pitch on Outer Space is a classic example. Lots of competent dudes leading the pitches but then trying to haul one of their weak-ass buddies up the route. They panic on the traverse and end up unclipping and leaving stuff. Monday morning is a good time to enjoy the route in uncrowded splendor and come back with more gear than you started. (You gotta give it back is someone's leaving notes and such for it.) Last time I climbed O.S., about a month ago, me and m'buddy climbed behind such a party. The belay-gaper left all kinds of stuff which we returned to him after every pitch; so much so that I began to refer to him as "Cam-Boy" by the time we got to the crack pitches. ("Hey Cam-Boy! You forget this one too!") He didn't seem to like that but too bad. He was so slow that we froze our butts off waiting for him at each belay!

Mountain-wise: Three cheers to the North Face of Mt. Index, which is often festooned with bogus anchors from people getting lost on the descent. Why can't they just go back down the same circuitous way they came up instead of rigging some rappel that will take them no where other than to the utter pits of fear itself? Gear all over that dang peak! I have the feeling that most people who leave gear on Mt. Index won't want it back. And if you can track them down, maybe they'll sell you the rest of their stuff really cheap!

Creepiest thing of this sort I ever saw was a tent melting out of the snow on Success Cleaver, Mt. Rainier. The tent was fully equipped with a stove, pack etc. and a sleeping bag laid out. It had at least spent the winter out or perhaps many years. Some dude must have gotten spooked and bolted!

Yowsa!

- Dwayner

Crevasse hunting around Camp Muir...Ex-Rainier Climbing Ranger bro hooked me up with a nice NF Exped tent, complete with seam grip, sutff sacks, and REI price tag, still in inside pocket of tent...I think half the rangers supplement thier incomes on scavenged gear...Always worthy of a venture over and take a peek in the closest big gaper, at least good for a Therma-Rest or two....

I spent an afternoon at Devil's Lake in Wisconsin once. Just walking along the top of the walls. I found two stoppers, a Lowe tricam, four biners and a bunch of webbing. There was also a rope, but it seemed to be snagged on something down below. The rope looked pretty beat, so I just cut it loose and took the gear. Funny how people can get loud an obnoxious at a popular crag like that.