Winter Skiing in MRNP

AlpinistAndrew

I am interested in doing some ski tours in MRNP this winter (that is if we get some snowfall). One place in particular that I wanted to explore is the Sunrise area. Has anyone ever skiied (or snowshoed for that matter) up to Sunrise from where they close off Highway 410. I was wondering if anyone did how long it took and any good descents/tours in that area of winter solitude. [smile]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet is head up Crystal Mt and ski down Kempers.... That will put you close to White river campground. From there you have a long way into sunrise. it beats me how long it will take to get in to that area.a day or 2 depends on snow too Depends on how fast and light you go. You would probably be better of doing a winter accent of the emmons. Beets me

quote:

Originally posted by MntnrMichael:

If you are referring to skiing down the back side of Crystal into the park, that is illegal, and there is going to be more patrolling for that reason this year.

That so sucks so bad. We can ski anywhere we want unless it's in bounds and closed. [Frown]

quote:

Skisports

If you are referring to skiing down the back side of Crystal into the park, that is illegal, and there is going to be more patrolling for that reason this year. If the season ever arrives.

The Ski patrollers can ski it but the public can't thats wrong.

Once you start down you are commited. what are you going to do clip the ticket. What are the ski patrolers going to do follow them that means they also would have to ski down to 410. From my experance Crystal dose not have to right to patrol over there eirther. have notice some avalanche patrol work in MRNP and that is not legal either. Most of the patrolers are not aware of ski to 410.

[ 11-25-2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Skisports ]

MM,

Whatever! I and everyone I know will still be doing it. Good luck to the patrolling efforts and their ability to do anything about it. So, are they going to bust me for skiing south of Three Way to Chinook Pass or any of the other South back terrain where the downhillers don't go. What will they do punch my pass? [big Grin] Good luck. Attention: BC skiing is now illegal and all must only ski in controlled ski areas and conform to their rules. [Roll Eyes]

Watch the snow level. Fall and early summer you can park at the hwy 410/White R intersection and drive (gate now closed) or bike to snowline. In summer the rd is plowed before the gate opens.

Once you are in the vicinity of White R campground, go up towards the Interglacier (Emmons/Whinthrop rt) and take the tr strait up the side of the valley to Sunrise.

Since you are in the area, visit Summerland and Little Tahoma.

Very steep from WR CG to Sunrise if you go straight up. One hour from White River Ranger Station (closed in winter) to the junction of Sunrise and White River CG roads. Three to four hours from the junction to Sunrise. Of course, depends on snow and fitness. This time was made in late April, when the snow was quite packed.

quote:

As I understand it:

MRNP says it is OK to hike in from 410 and ski down. But it is not acceptable to buy a ticket us the lifts, and then ski down the back side.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I am allowed to *hike* into the area, but I cannot purchase the right to ride a lift then ski into that exact same area? What the hell. I agree with everybody else and say "let them stop me." The Crystal Mountain ski patrol's only authority is to tell me I can't ride the lifts again, and to do that they'd have to ski after me and catch me. Which would mean getting stuck down on 410 with only alpine gear. [laf][laf][MR T]

If you purchase a lift ticket from the ski area, you're also agreeing to abide by their rules when you're on their property. They close off sections to limit their liability...that's all. They're just trying to cover their ass. All a patroller can pretty much do is clip your ticket anyways.

I find it hard to believe skiing down the backside to 410 would ever be an issue. I don't htink you'll have any problems. But just going along the closed portion of 410 is only about 5 miles to the White River turnoff anyway, so I'm not sure it gains you much. (although parking might be hard down there, compared to the ski area).

FWIW, I think snowmobiles are allowed on 410 and White River rd, to the campground.

buy a "oneup" ticket at crystal, this lets you ride partway up the hill, register with the ski patrol for a Backcountry tour to "bear gap" and then just GO! skin towards threeway peak, pick a notch to top the ridge, then cross over. f*** the crystal ski patrol, if they want to stop a winter camper on a registered backcountry tour. it's not private property, it is federal lands.

the problem is, they will try to do their jobs. I 've had many issues with recreationalists inside MRNP who don't want to listen to issues about dogs, sleds or fires in the national park.

of course, restrictions on use inside an officially designated national park should be respected by users out of their humanity,

more than restrictions imposed by profiteering leaseholders of federal forestlands.

uhhm, I think they did away with single ride lift tickets a few years ago, likely coinciding with the Boyne management transition. Last conversation I had with anyone on the subject was that there was no intention of ever bringing it back.

As long as you don't use their lifts, they can't tell you what to do however.

Having skied on the backside of Crystal (mostly into Crystal Lakes) and a occasional trip to Hiway 410 I am not the least bit worried about patrols in the area. I consider this backcountry and refuse to let this freedom be legislated or regulated. This is wild country and should be entered at your own risk. Period.

We skied late season when 410 is open and you basically ski/walk down the trail /path all the way to the trailhead at 410 very near the White River cutoff. Two options would be to ski back down to the gate, there is usually enough snow on the side of the hiway and usually ther is a path made by crosscountry skiers or stash a bike at the trailhead and cruise back to the gate in style. These are options when the gate is closed.

I am not sure what you mean by run but all routes on the backside of the ridge between the Queen and Threeway funnel down into the Crystal Lakes basin. The runs get less steep as you travel south down the ridge. From the lake, you follow the summer trail ,more or less,down to the trailhead at 410. It helps if you have hiked the trail in summer .Is this what you meant or were you talking about the run from the trailhead to the gate ?

Acouple of points I would like to clarify for you guys on the Crystal boundary and the MRNP:

1) The park wants to close the boundary, not Boyne. The Park perceives skiing into the park via lift access is a commercial venture on park property, hence the desire for the park to close the boundary "to limit the impact on the wilderness". go figure. As for the patrol going into the park, only for rescue or recreation. As for getting busted by patrol, not an issue, since they are only informing the public that if they get caught by the park rangers, they will get ticketed if they can't prove they came in from the road. If you have a lift ticket, hide it when you get to 410 and you won't have a problem.

2) There still are single ride tickets, you just need to ask.

3)When you ski down to 410, you come out 3.5 miles from the gate.