Gib Ledges

Dan_Larson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys!

yes, i took a good look at the mountain today after all that squabble over where one should ski on rainier...

to me, it looks as though it rained pretty heavily up to nearly 10,500 feet. it was quite warm yesterday and rained over 2 inches at longmire!

today, the weather was PERFECT!!! very, very warm at paradise, 68 degrees reported!!! it's suppose to remain nice for a few days. quite frankly the upper mountain looked really good for climbing. i saw solid snow across the entire gib ledge. from paradise, i couldn't see what it was like above camp comfort however?!

as for other routes, i would guess that the glacier routes are either still quite broken, or riddled with recently hidden crevasses. play it cool if you go.

success cleaver looked totally awesome; it's probably a GREAT time to do it... easy approach, perfect amounts of snow on the ridge where you need it...

wish i were around to take advantage of this. i you go for it, have a great trip, enjoy the relative solace, and be safe.

mike

[ 11-21-2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Mike Gauthier ]

Thanks for the report Mike! If you wouldn't mind posting another conditions update a little closer to the weekend I know more than a few would be appreciative. Like Rodeo, I was thinking of trying to give it a go over this long weekend coming up. And whomever may have climbed it recently your input would be cool too. Thanks much!