Muir snow report?

bcollins

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there last sunday...could skin up from the paradise parking lot, ski most of the way back down, although we had to ski on the trail the last 1000vf above the parking lot because lots of foliage was still sticking up at the time and none of us wanted to go meadow stomping. Got as high at 8200ft and skied a couple laps before heading down, viz was really bad at times and light was flat, lots of new snow though. Hoping conditions will be even better this weekend, probably not much new snow below 6000ft but a fair amount more above Panorama Point. I'd bring rock skis unless you want to ski very carefully on the terrain below the snowfield.

Flat light did suck. Could not see up from down when I was cartwheeling down the slopes. Are we supposed to ski or do gymnastics [laf]

Either way it's good snow in my opinion. It's the weather conditions that is the factor of weather or not you will get a cruiser long run that is fun and moderat if you ask me.

As for skiing wensday:

TUESDAY...RAIN...LOCALLY HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE MORNING... BREEZY WIND IN THE PASSES WEST 15 TO 25 MPH. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 9000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES 45 TO 50.

TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN CHANGING TO SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL NEAR 10000 FEET. WIND IN THE PASSES VARIABLE 5 TO 10 MPH.

WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MORNING SHOWERS NORTH CASCADES. OTHERWISE AREAS OF MORNING FOG AND BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY DURING THE AFTERNOON. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES NEAR 50. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 10000 FEET. [hell no]

THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY... A CHANCE OF RAIN LATE... FREEZING LEVEL NEAR 10000 FEET.

quote:

Originally posted by Skisports:

Why go to muir it is only a destination not an achievement? You can ski the same vertical, and better runs other places then “muir” . still I got more vertical then I would of buy just going to muir

some of us don't go to muir for vertical. and god knows there are better runs with better weather elsewhere. duh. [Roll Eyes] some of us go 'cause we just plain like mount rainier. [big Grin]

Yeah, and he was referring to better places on rainer. We skied out of the paradise parking lot like all the other muir-bound folks but we ended up skiing awesome runs in the trees [big Drink][rockband] while everybody complained about the crappy visibility and wind on the snowfield. [MR T]

Just because you go to paradise doesn't mean you need to go to muir. [Wazzup]

Baker is looking good

from www.mtbaker.com

CURRENT INFO: Well, this storm rallied to bring us 10 inches of new overnight. Forecasts are calling for it to stay strong through tomorrow night and then taper off a bit by Wednesday. We're hoping to hang onto the cold temps as it passes over us.

DATE: Monday Nov 18

TIME: 9:00am

WEATHER CONDITIONS: SNOWING

SLOPE CONDITIONS: changing by the day

TEMPERATURE: 31

NEW SNOWFALL: a whopping 10

SNOWFALL IN LAST 24 HOURS: 12

BASE AT HEATHER MEADOWS: 18

BASE AT PAN DOME : 24

SNOW REPORT PHONE LINES

Bellingham: (360) 671-0211

Seattle: (206) 634-0200

Vancouver: 604-857-1515

quote:

Flat light = tree skiing

Why go to muir it is only a destination not an achievement? You can ski the same vertical, and better runs other places then “muir” . still I got more vertical then I would of buy just going to muir

My name is skisports I am soo cool look at me. I dis muir snowfield cuz I love myself. Everyone that goes there is silly and there is an abundance of snow everywhere right now. [Roll Eyes] If a lot of people are doing it then it can't be good or cool [laf]

caveman, considering a lot of people were doing it and 9 out of 10 people I talked to coming down said it sucked, I would say my time was better spent elsewhere. I dont think anybody is dissing the muir snowfield, but I think just because that is where everybody goes from paradise means you can get less crowded turns elsewhere on the mountain.

quote:

Originally posted by JoshK:

caveman, considering a lot of people were doing it and 9 out of 10 people I talked to coming down said it sucked, I would say my time was better spent elsewhere. I dont think anybody is dissing the muir snowfield, but I think just because that is where everybody goes from paradise means you can get less crowded turns elsewhere on the mountain.

I didn't know you wanted to get involved with the discussion Mr Helper.

Of course you can ski in the trees [geek] Nobody told you to go there and also noted earlier by matt is that you can ski\climb above the weather sometimes. I call a spade a spade.

You also mentioned that it was atrocious lighting Cavey , therefore you have no privilege to whine if you knew that there was going to be better conditions elsewhere “trees” you should of gone there. You also mentioned that Sometimes you can get above the clouds…. Well did you ?

And you do not have to predict if are going to get above the cloud level, there are pilots that fly their little airplanes and report back to sea tac airport to give accurate information on what the cloud level is.

quote:

You also mentioned that it was atrocious lighting Cavey , therefore you have no privilege to whine if you knew that there was going to be better conditions elsewhere “trees” you should of gone there. You also mentioned that Sometimes you can get above the clouds…. Well did you ?

And you do not have to predict if are going to get above the cloud level, there are pilots that fly their little airplanes and report back to sea tac airport to give accurate information on what the cloud level is.

Hey if you want a trip report for a ski run look elsewhere. Also - not on cloud cieling- that's a fine theory but when our group decided to head there it was decided 5 days prior not that morning and needless to say that the trip was not to be changed since there was a meeting of different people from different places.

How do you know if I did not ski in the trees Mr SmartGuy [Moon]

Your a jackass is all. [Moon]