[TR] Faulty Tower- Basil's Buttress 7/1/2006

ckiely

Climb: Faulty Tower-Basil's Buttress

Date of Climb: 7/1/2006

Trip Report:

Ramsay Dyer and I climbed a variation of a route done in the 90's. Two 'pitches' of 3rd-4th class, followed by 2 pitches of roped climbing, the first being low 5th (30m)and the second somewhere in the 5.6, 5.7 range (20m). I call it a 'variation' because the crux moves felt harder than 5.6, so I'm not sure we were on route all the way.

The route was difficult to protect, but there are good boulders at the right spots to use as anchors. After the crux pitch there is a nice horizontal crack in a truck sized boulder for an anchor.

Rap off boulder on the north side of final ledge before the scramble to the top. One 60m rope will just reach the ledges below. Downclimb to sketchy gully. We crossed the gully above a large boulder and skipped over to the next gully which was easy downclimbing.

107724th_class_copy_copy-med.jpg

107725th_class_copy-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Some slings, yellow metolious, small nuts.

Bring small gear for the second anchor, pink tricam, yellow metolious and small nuts.

Approach Notes:

Downton Creek FSR, north fork, hike to base of Linus Peak. Nice lake there to camp at.

Edited by ckiely

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Crack of Noon that 5.9 that's up there? I saw something on the east face that looks 5.9ish, basically you'd follow our route to just before we roped up, and then you can get on the face that way by traversing to the right.

All the other faces looked very very hard!

Ya, I know. I climbed in my boots and had an easier time than Ramsay, who went in his climbing shoes. Boots have more bite, I guess and his shoes just slipped all over.

Btw, it was your trip report on Bivywack that gave us the beta for the climb, so thanks! bigdrink.gif

rockband.gif