Mount Baker highway crags

jsb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uuhhh, mile marker 45 or something.... mtnfreak knows. Some are good, some are ok. You can do some longer ones if you link them up, can get pretty tough.

That warm up is like .10+ or something? dyno at the end. weird dihedral is cool. Shorty is really powerful....

Just past mile post 39 you will bend around a left turn and a small two car pullout will be on your right. Park and look accross the highway. A Climbers trail proceeds through the talus and up to the Pumphouse. The Cobblestone Wall is reached by continuing up and left. The Pumphouse is a fun outing and has a few routes that stay dry in the rain. I would agree that the warm-up is about .10+, but can be climbed completely static. Shorty (.12c) is a bolted bolder problem that climbs the obvious prow on the left side. The dihedral that Distel refers to is called Superbad and has a fun little extension that pulls the roof at the first set of chains (called Superbadest). To the right of that is, in my opinion, the best route there called Pinch of Death (.12d). I haven't climbed there since around 2001, so I am not sure of the condition. There are also climbs/problems located down the highway a short bit on the left as well. This area used to be referred to as Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

I haven't climbed there since around 2001, so I am not sure of the condition.

Some of the bolts in the pumphouse are definetly a bit questionable. The crux bolts on Go-Go and Superbad have been replaced. Most of the routes in the Pumphouse have fixed carabiners on the the anchors for lowering, i've replaced a few of these, but there are still a bunch of the creaky ass original biners up there which really suck to clip when your pumped out of your mind. I don't remember the name of it but i would defineltly recommend the steep arete that you stick clip, the guide says 12b but its not. Huge steep dynamic moves.