[TR] Dome/Sinister- Dome reg/ sinister NF 7/1/2006

letsroll

Climb: Dome/Sinister-Dome reg/ sinister NF

Date of Climb: 7/1/2006

Trip Report:

Had a long weekend and a Dome/sinister/gunsight sounded like a good one. Headed up to seattle friday afternoon to stay at a friends house. Needless to say we had a few too many that night and I was hurting the next day for the long approach to istwoot. The trail to cub lake is in ok shape looks like they are going to do some improvements, hope they cut out some of the dead fall. Like Jamin posted the slide area is a pain in the rear to get through. Lost the trial up through it and then again coming down. The camp spot on Istwoot was sweet, man that is what alpine bivi is all about, great views!!! The next day headed to the Cole next to Dome and set camp. Headed to gunsight but that late in the afternoon and me feeling very tired decided to bail and snag dome. Stopped 10 ft short of the summit of dome. Saw the possible ways up that Jamin talked about but decided it was not for me. Back to camp for rest/water/and sleep. Early start the next day 5:30 am for NF of Sinister. Weaving my way across the chickamin was easy and the snow was really sloppy. Stopped to look at the decent, and that look like it might be a problem, but after hauling up a rope I figured I had options, so onward and upward. The climbing was straight forward weaving my way through some shrunds on a couple of thining snowbridges. The snow on sunday was less that ideal but took tools ok and kicked good. If the slope was any steeper than 50 deg it would have been a little scary. Got to the summit ditched gear and stripped down to the skivies to try and dry out my clothing that was soaked from sweat and snow. Hung out for a while and shortly at team of 2 that I have been playing leap frog all weekend joined me at the top. After gear was dry headed down with the other 2. Did a short rap (thank god, I had been hauling that freaking rope all weekend and wanted to justify it!!!!). Back to camp loaded up and headed out. Goal was to make it to Cub lake or the head waters of Batchlor creek, but still had some day light so headed to 6 mile camp. Camped on a gravel bar had a fire all night. That was nice. july 4th started early and raced back to the car for the long drive home for BBQ and Beers. This was a great trip. Would not want to do it in 2 days (crazy fools Jamin!!! smile.gif.

Lesson learned. Try and figure a way to have less weight. Pack was 58 lbs at finish. Figured it was about 64-66 on the way in. WAY TOO HEAVY, no wonder I was tired. Not all small alpine critters are after food, some want to eat your salt encrusted boots, shoes, socks and hiking poles. Need to get more apline rock in. Feel much better on steep snow than steep rock.

Kick in the Rear trip.

Gear Notes:

poons, 2 tools, bivi, lots of sunscreen and water

Approach Notes:

batchlor creek trail is good but have a fair about of dead fall to go over, around, and under to get to the slide area. The slide area at the headwaters of bachlor is a real pain in the butt.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I came down the NW ridge. The NW ridge is obviouse from Dome and when you are climbing down from the summit. Very straight forward. You can down climb the whole thing on rock (one of the party or two did), but the last third had some tricky moves. I decided to rap at a spot where I found a slung rock. One 60 meter rope took me all the way down to the snow.