Wilder Kaiser

Hi everyone, I just had a really fun day in the Wilder Kaiser. It's in Austria near the German border, about 1.5 hours drive from Munich. We climbed a long 5.6 route, about 16 pitches with friendly bolted belay stances. This range is like a mini-Dolomites, with great rock, and long climbs of all difficulties.

No boring TR, just some pics:

Predigtstuhl2.jpg

The mountain on the right is Predigtstuhl,

festooned with climbs!

scaryround.jpg

Pretty cool terrain for 5.6!

HighBeautiful.jpg

On the easy, solid ridge of Hintere Goinger Halt.

travAway.jpg

Keeping an eye on the car.

fleischbankguys.jpg

Here's some real climbers on the Fleischbank (literally, "meat bank").

bigdrink.gif

Happy 4th!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that was the one, and then we continued on to the mountain behind on the ridge (Hintere Goinger Halt).

The Predigtstuhl route had this scary crawling ledge with a huge drop beneath you. All the holds were polished, and especially with a pack, the overhang above tries to push you off. The first guy to climb it (over 100 years ago, jeez), did it solo, and I have fun wondering what he was thinking!

I did both routes a few years ago, though seperately. You can climb the exposed ledge (Oppelband) upright, standing on the ledge and balancing.

Another classic in the Wilder Kaiser is the Kopftoerlgrat. Not difficult, but long and nice.

Have fun!

armin

Verz neat, thanks Armin I look forward to climbing that. I did try the standing way, finding a few suspicious (chipped?) handholds. But my pack was tipping me backwards, and I couldn't find the next hold. I gave up and crawled, probably scarier!