Sierra High Route in August

tshimko

date change for this outing...

Looking for partner(s).

Imagine the Ptarmigan Traverse without the glaciers, but 5 times as long and at an average elevation of around 10,000'+. Granite peaks at 12,000' to over 14000'. In 1982, Steve Roper wrote about his version of the ultimate Sierra alpine traverse, called the Sierra High Route, covering about 200 miles of prime Sierra travel, from Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon Sequoia NP to north of Tuolumne Meadows, some on trail, when the trails stay high, and the rest off trail, when the trails go below 10,000'. I headed down to CA this two years ago to do about 60% of it, ended up doing more trail than off trail as my partner was just not up to the more strenuous off trail travel, but the parts of the High Route that I did were incredibly beautiful country. An area that a guy I met along an off trail "short-cut" of the John Muir Trail from Palisades lakes to Dusy Basin, mentioned a place called "Bear Basin", so-called because all the lakes are "Bears"...Brown, Black, White, Teddy, Big...he said "you gotta go there!". And so as the trip progressed, I figured out where "Bear Basin" was and we went there. Spent a lot of time along and around lakes at 12,000'+, many with golden trout up to 18" (I actually saw one this size!). I'm not a fisherman, but these lakes would convert me. Absolutely incredible territory, saw no one there, eye-popping views everywhere. And the opportunity to scramble granite peaks by the boatload.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'm looking for some like minded people to travel with. I'd choose non-technical climbing just to keep from having to carry the gear. I know the area well, having traveled the Crest Trail through most of this in relatively early season (mid-late may), and of course the outing two years ago. Would do the southern 60% of this, with 1-2 caches/food-drops. I know all the logistics.

I tried to put this together for last year, but it did not work out. I'm going this year... Could start as early as late July, more likely early Aug. I need to be back by Aug 28.

I'm a now 56 yo alpine climber who still does some technical climbing, but I'd do this one as primarily a scramble trip. This outing looks easy, but is not for "hikers" as it involves lots of off-trail travel, generally class 2 but sometimes class 3. It requires people with climbing skills, comfortable moving with a pack over sometimes difficult terrain. Looking for 1-3 like-minded alpine enthusiasts to do this with me. I'd look for people who find the Bailey/Ptarmigan/Isolation Traverses to be fun alpine travel, who'd like to combine that with scrambling of big granite peaks, and fishing for trout at the end of the day. People who enjoy spending time in the alpine.

Roper did a second edition in 1997, published by the Mountaineers (first edition was a Sierra Club Totebook in 1982), if you want to read more.

PM me if interested

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days