TR: Observation Rock/High Caliber Rifles

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was so scared... as the glass shattered over my head my life started to flash before my eyes. I remembered being born...toilet training...my first wedgie, in preschool. The first time I realized how girls were different than boys. The teasing in elementary school where my monocle was thrown on the roof of the school. That time at band camp when..."

Shit, maybe you could call Greg Child up. Im sure he needs a new epic to write about until he gets the rights to the Haston story.

I was thinking along the lines of Ted as well. Get the press to make some noise. I think now is very timely to get on it. With the sniper news and Tacoma connection, the local press, you would think, should be all over shooting near misses like this occurring in their back yard. The added angle is that authorities indicate this is business as usual in this part of the county. Oh really? Terrorism is tolerated in some parts of the county more than others, is it?

Hey Adamson I wrote down the plate of that burgundy Ford Ranger with the broken window. I will get you the info tomorrow. As for WSP...remember their forte is writing tickets (lots of them). Anything that doesn't have to do with traffic violations is foreign to them (except some of the guys on the east side). Also since the troopers nearest back-up was probably hours away (literally) you can't blame him for not going up in the dark alone on unknown roads with a pistol against who knows how many guys with high-powered rifles with scopes. Pistols are used to get back to your rifle...not to fight against rifles. The truck was probably back in the Evans creek ORV area anyways where a Ford Crown Victoria isn't gonna fare too well. It sucks..but thats what happens when there are budget cuts on top of departments who have below minimum staffing already. It's too bad Adamson and I had already left the area earlier...we might have been able to be a good witness or something. I did see a late 80's model Jeep Cherokee and a early nineties model Chevy truck going up the road while Mike and I were leaving at approximately 2200 hrs that night. I didnt get their plates though.

Since shooting at "unoccupied" cars seems to be a favorite redneck pastime, I would carry a hand written, cardboard sign to put in my car window at night, that reads: "VEHICLE OCCUPIED". If these idiots knew your vehicle was occupied, this elevates them "murderer" status. This was no small crime. Fucking idiots!

Additionally, I would dispense with any left-leaning political bumperstickers. Just as it is unwise for me to park on a university campus, or on a Freemont street with a pro-Republican bumpersticker, it is equally unwise to pass through some hillbilly towns with "Maria Cantwell" or "visualize world peace" prominently displayed on a vehicle. (although I'm not sure why they would be so offended by "Petzyl") In spite of my strong political beliefs, I never put political bumperstickers on my car.

I travel this side of MRNP alot, and have never had any problems. Indeed, Carbonado is probably a lot more "left leaning" than you think. Ditto Wilkeson and Enumclaw. Perhaps it is that little settlement down on the Carbon River just below the spot where Mowich Road forks off??? Regardless, this is "gun country" and there are bad people everywhere.

Arm yourselves!

[Wink][Eek!][Mad][Cool][Frown][Frown][Frown]

[ 11-03-2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

JAT: Before we judge all the "hicks from the sticks" and especially since we're in hunting season, I've noticed during a lot of past experiences that there are a lot of wanna be Rambo types from the city that go out and just need SOMETHING to shoot at. Still rednecks, just where they come from.

I'm thinking a bumper sticker, or two, wouldn't be enough to change the spots on der Spanker's ride to something more palatable to my Okie brethen. A spotted zebra is still a queer kinda animal to find in the sticks of the PNW, if you know what I mean.

I know a few things about rednecks since I was born and raised in Bakersfield (Hell, I graduated from the same High School Merle Haggard dropped out of). Practically any American car wouldn't have been shot at --especially full-size pickup trucks. Though, American luxury cars would have to be of a vintage inversely proportional to their initial pricetag (eg. A '73 Lincoln Continental with patches of primer paint is Ok, but not a '93, or younger, Cadillac). Something along the lines of a Plymouth K car with a bag of Huggies stuffed onto the back shelf might've even produced a dollar tucked under your windshield wiper. And a Ford LTD, or Crown Victoria with a 10' CB antenna woulda had 'em like whistling past a grave yard.

quote:

Originally posted by remlec:

JAT: Before we judge all the "hicks from the sticks" and especially since we're in hunting season, I've noticed during a lot of past experiences that there are a lot of wanna be Rambo types from the city that go out and just need SOMETHING to shoot at. Still rednecks, just where they come from.

A lot of past experiences huh? I just call it like I see it.

• 2 weeks later...