TR: Observation Rock/High Caliber Rifles

COL._Von_Spanker

Just looked at the pictures. Wow. Unbelievable. Has the world ratcheted up a notch in craziness lately? Is getting to or from the trailhead now as dangerous as outside activity in suburban DC recently was?

I'm really glad no one was hurt and hope the guilty are soon caught.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldest trick in the world.

Ask a lady out to do some sort of innocent and enjoyable activity. Stretch it out all day into the night. Get tires or have car trouble. pull over. Have something scary happen.

Jack Dupree said: ............All you need is a good woman and you .........................

Sorry Colonel - looks like a setup.

i hadn't noticed this thread till today... my first reaction is HOLY SHIT!!! this is VERY ALARMING and hardly a joking matter!!!

i once lived at mowich lake for an entire fall (and an interesting fall it was). besides wondering if the cabin was haunted, i found the area to be a nest-bed of larceny and bull shit backwoods behavior. much of it pointed at park visitors. it's also the only place in the park where i've had my car broken into.

i'm sorry this happened, i will share this information with park rangers and managers.

mike

From the photos, it appears they shot at the rear windows. Unfortunately, this is what some country boys do for fun. They shoot signs, bottles, parked cars that appear to be empty, whatever. The lessons to be learned are:

(1) If you participate in this kind of activity, don't assume that nobody is in the vehicle.

(2) If you're trying to catch a few winks, park the car and sleep in the woods.

i received this note from a ranger who works in the area....

"While this is pretty shocking, it is not out of character for the Carbon drainage. Most every disabled vehicle on the Mowich/Carbon roads winds up being a target. Highly recommend no-one make pit stops on those roads. Better to sack out at Mowich Lake or Ipsut. Thanks for forwarding this"

hey greg, you don't know what you're talking about. who said that i was lonely? do you think the family reference was rather rude?

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Gauthier:

hey greg, you don't know what you're talking about. who said that i was lonely? do you think the family reference was rather rude?

mike, one thing about greg..is he typically picks on his faults that he sees in other people....he does it to make himself feel better.....some sort of coping mechanism.....he also only speaks up pn tpoics he knows about....ie: dating family memebers......sultan....ya know!

[laf][laf][laf][laf]

Here is the most fucked up part of the story.

Nearly everyone that hears about it, including the police come back with the response "that's typical for the area" etc. in a sort of boys will be boys attitude. So if someone gets their face blown off in tacoma do the police just say "well that's hilltop for ya". It's also frustrating that when the officer arrived I knew that the suspects were still up the dead end road, as no cars had driven by since the incident, all it would have taken was one officer blocking the road to find them, but unfortunately since "they do that kind of thing out there" this didn't happen. So if this happened in some nice part of Seattle would the police just shrug it off?

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

Nearly everyone that hears about it, including the police come back with the response "that's typical for the area" etc.

Remind "everyone" of which part of the country Muhammad and Malvo got their start. I would assume the Tacoma PD feel pretty low for not stopping those guys before they headed east.

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

Here is the most fucked up part of the story.

Nearly everyone that hears about it, including the police come back with the response "that's typical for the area" etc. in a sort of boys will be boys attitude. So if someone gets their face blown off in tacoma do the police just say "well that's hilltop for ya". It's also frustrating that when the officer arrived I knew that the suspects were still up the dead end road, as no cars had driven by since the incident, all it would have taken was one officer blocking the road to find them, but unfortunately since "they do that kind of thing out there" this didn't happen. So if this happened in some nice part of Seattle would the police just shrug it off?

The reality is probably still more pathetic than you can imagine. The boys responsible are probably the nephews of the mayor of some local municipality and "Johnny L." probably knows exactly "who done it".

hey erik, i know greg is joking, but i really find this shooting rather disturbing. damn, they could have been killed!!

hey col... i was going to ask you, why didn't the police block the road? this is troubling and it sucks. unfortunately for me, i frequently crash along remote roads and camp on USFS land when doing road trips (i hate paying for lodging). it's always been my fear that some yoyo will show up and create havoc in my life... I’m finding too many coincidences here (minus the shooting)... i hate to think that its become too dangerous to camp/crash along logging roads... [Mad]

[ 10-29-2002, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Mike Gauthier ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Gauthier:

hey col... i was going to ask you, why didn't the police block the road? this is troubling and it sucks.

no doubt. at the time the authorities seemed more concerned with determining 1) that it actually was a gunshot (and not a rock or some shit) and 2) that it happened on the highway (and not a side trail or other road where someone else would have jurisdiction). [Wazzup]

The other vehicle (small reddish truck) in the Mowich parking lot Sat morning (besides SEF's-vehicle) also had a smashed out passenger side window & busted shell. We did not stop to ask the two campers whether they had done it/seen it or it was vandalization. Perhaps they also filed a seperate report?

In addition, there were beer cans and other detritus near their vehicle that was gone when we returned from our climb. If that could be located it may have fingerprint information. I was going to write down the vehicle ID, but chose not to. If they camped overnight there should have been a register with the identities of the two men camped at Mowich Lake Friday night?

I'm not suggesting those two men were at fault, but it appeared that they were also victims of a similar or possible seperate incident and may be able to provide additional information.

[ 10-29-2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

If you want some action, make some noise. Figure out which of the following local newspaper columnists has the appropriate axe to grind, and feed them your very compelling story (guns, axes, screws, late nights, or late-night screwing(?), hillbillies, incompetent policing and high-powered (?) rifles...).

Remember: these guys have to come up with something compelling to write about every single day. Spoonfeed them your account, get them a copy of the police report, and make sure to drop some comments like, "what with the recent sniper attacks out East, it seems a real shame that they take such a lax attitude..."

Here's a starter list:

robertjamieson@seattlepi.com

susanpaynter@seattlepi.com

jlarge@seattletimes.com

joelconnelly@seattlepi.com

rjudd@seattletimes.com

jonhahn@seattlepi.com

elacitis@seattletimes.com

nbrodeur@seattletimes.com

-t

[ 10-29-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: terrible ted ]