Fatal Rappelling Accident in the Icicle

olyclimber

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is just cc.com or the internet in general, but I'm amazed at the lack of sensitivity to Emily's family and friends in some of these posts.... why not take it to this thread specifically created for open discussion?

Mea culpa, agreed. Could we get a moderator to move the last bits to the appropriate forum?

First, my condolences to the family and friends of the woman who fell, and to those who witnessed the accident. I'm sure she didn't plan to end her day and life that way and thought, at the time, that she had all the bases covered.

It is important to both recognize the tragedy of someone dying, whether doing something they love or just sitting in traffic; it is also good to try to gain some insight from the accident to prevent this from happening to you (or me). I like rappelling; it's fun. That said, I check everything several times always. It's too easy to make a mistake and nobody is immune, newbie or master. I always think, just as I start to weight the rope, "did I get it right?", then I check my harness, locker, and rappel device one more time.

If I bite it somewhere, I hope people pick apart what I did that got me killed and avoid making the same mistake themselves, hopefully without trashing me too mercilessly in hte process.