Willis Wall 7/1/06

Jens

I climbed Willis Wall on Saturday with Loren Campbell. Last weekend while climbing Liberty ridge with Kelly M., I made the plan in my head. I noticed that a large bergschrund ran across the base of the face. I also observed a Hiroshima-mushroom cloud-sized avalanche roar down the face, so the prospect of biving high on the Carbon glacier was not appealing. As a result of those observations, Loren and I opted to climb lower Curtis Ridge and bivy. When the alarm went off, the temp. was a balmy 36 degrees. I had doubts about a July ascent and especially on such a warm night. (We heard constant rockfall throughout the night). From the bivy, we traversed down and out onto Willis Wall above the schrund. There was little moon and the night was completely dark. We were lost on the face! We thought we had traversed to far right as we though we could make out liberty ridge immediatley to our right so we began traversing back left. We traversed left a long ways and when the sun rose, we realized we had traversed all the way back to Curtis Ridge! We had gained little vertical but instead were going back and forth over ribs. We climbed a short rock step on Curtis Ridge and then traversed all the way right again untill we were near the central rib of willis wall (We were stupid traversing back and forth on Willis). We looked up to see the seracs towering straight above us sevaral thousand feet up. We were scared. As the sun hit the face, the face came alive. Every few seconds, rocks would whistle through the air. We climbed endless mixed and ice sections straight up the gully toward the seracs. Loren's many seasons of waterfall ice climbing really came through as we quickly raced through several thousand feet of AI2ish black ice and mixed rock. The rockfall was insane. Loren got hit on the helmet,one tagged the top of my backpack, and really small one bounced and hit me on the thigh. A July ascent in above freezing conditions was clearly a time to climb as fast as possible. We finally reached the "traverse of angels" that is described in Beckey's book. A portion of the traverse had either collapsed or melted out. We climbed a rock step to the right and joined the snow ramp that the "traverse of angels" becomes. We were able to get on top of the middle serrac. (For you ice world cup types- the central serrac could be climbed at AI6 whereas the left serrac would shut anyone down). Above the serracs, a short steep pitch took us through one more overhanging band. Loren's amazing fitness was evident as he blazed for the top out in a near sprint. We flattened out at 13,600 and then traversed over and slogged up to columbia crest and register rock. It was most definitely the most hazardous situation I have ever been in. The descnet down the Emmons was gloppy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shocked.gifthe_finger.gifI thought I caught you casting a few mischevious glances towards willis wall last weekend!

I think the guide books advice on "the wall" goes something like this:

"...load up on carbs, throw up a few hail-marys, and dont stop until your at the top!"

thumbs_up.gif

Here are a few pics:

Directly in the firing line

IMG_0353.jpg

Fingers crossed as we head up to the Traverse of Angels

IMG_0364.jpg

Just past the Traverse of Angels. I have a short video from this spot that I'll post later.

IMG_0378.jpg

Jens turning the last obstacle before the summit ice cap.

IMG_0383.jpg

I took quite a few pictures between Thursday night, when we left White River, and Saturday when we got back there, but not a ton on Willis itself. For the first two hours it was dark, and for the last two hours we were hauling ass from one pseudo-safe spot to the next.