Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
COL._Von_Spanker

Driving time???

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from portland to the mowich lake area? I'm supposed to be at a function in portland on firday night, but want to ice climb on observation rock on saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.Take a map and mesure the distance in miles

2.Estimate your driving speed in miles/hr and divide into the distance.

3.Add 1/2 hr for pit stops.

 

The same procedure works to discover the time requiered to hike a given distance; although it is less accurate due to hills and what not.

 

[ 10-24-2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: salbrecher ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by salbrecher:

1.Take a map and mesure the distance in miles

2.Estimate your driving speed in miles/hr and divide into the distance.

3.Add 1/2 hr for pit stops.

 

The same procedure works to discover the time requiered to hike a given distance; although it is less accurate due to hills and what not.

Whatever. That doesn't work for driving on those roads. Curvy, lots of lights and small towns on the small roads, traffic. I know how to estimate driving time smartass, I want a realistic picture of how long it will take.

 

So why don't you test your theory coming back to seattle from levanworth on a sunday afternoon, then we'll see how accurate you are.

[Wazzup]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 1/2 hours. 2 1/2 to Tacoma, 1 more hour to Mowich lake. Depending on traffic and your tolerance for driving fast on a rutted out road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:

3 1/2 hours. 2 1/2 to Tacoma, 1 more hour to Mowich lake. Depending on traffic and your tolerance for driving fast on a rutted out road.

woohoo! thanks, dan, for the "real" answer. [big Drink][big Grin]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

actually col....when u are headed north....take the exit before gravelly lk drive (thorne ln) and head east(right) off the exit and then follow the aterial till you reach spanaway loop rd and take a right...this will dump you off about 1 mile north of the roy "y" taking away all the tacoma driving......

 

pm is oyu have more questions....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

quote:

Originally posted by salbrecher:

1.Take a map and mesure the distance in miles

2.Estimate your driving speed in miles/hr and divide into the distance.

3.Add 1/2 hr for pit stops.

 

The same procedure works to discover the time requiered to hike a given distance; although it is less accurate due to hills and what not.

Whatever. That doesn't work for driving on those roads. Curvy, lots of lights and small towns on the small roads, traffic. I know how to estimate driving time smartass, I want a realistic picture of how long it will take.

 

So why don't you test your theory coming back to seattle from levanworth on a sunday afternoon, then we'll see how accurate you are.

[Wazzup]
Well if you know it's going to be busy comming back from 11worth on a Sunday afternoon you can factor that into your ET [Roll Eyes] .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×