Aurora Bridge at Noon

mattp

Climb: Aurora Bridge-Dropping Coils

Date of Climb: 6/30/2006

Trip Report:

I bought a new rope last night, and at lunch time I took it to the Aurora Bridge to dangle it over the edge and shake out the kinks before I take it climbing this weekend and get all tangled up. I tied it to the guard rail so I wouldn’t drop it, and fed it out over the edge, and I guess some passing driver thought I looked suspicious and called 911.

Just as I was finished coiling it back up again, two police cars pulled up and the cops jumped out and were ready to wrestle me to the ground if I tried to jump or maybe start a protest or something. "What are you doing?" They demanded. “Untwisting a new rope,” I replied. "What are you doing?" (Again) “Untwisting my rope. (Again). “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” (One more time). Obviously, answering the question wasn’t working, so I asked one of my own: “did you think I was going to jump or something?”

They demanded I climb over the fence to stand next to the police car and I said I didn’t really want to climb over the barrier that was there to protect pedestrians. I said “I’m sorry to cause you all this trouble,” and they told they weren’t going to arrest me or anything, but I still had to get in the car so they could drive me off the bridge.

Be warned. Suspicious persons on the Aurora Bridge will be phoned in by someone who has a cell phone and just wants to do you a favor.

Gear Notes:

Dress slacks and shirt.

Approach Notes:

Pedestrian walkway.

What would have happened if I did this on Friday night? How about if I wore some wild costume? I can understand the concern, sort of, but me thinks Seattle drivers and police are a little over-reactive here.

Edited by mattp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i once knew this guy who got arrested rappeling off the Montlake bridge. The cops confiscated his rope as evidense so we used his friends rope which was really, really beat up. so i'm rapelling down his friend's rope and there's like holes in the mantle and then one section where the mantle is completely seperated so i stop on a ledge and pass the gap through my belay device and then rap the rest of the way down quickly because i think the rope is going to break.

cops are dangerous.

Ravenna might be a good choice as there are not so many "good samaritans" driving by. How about Husky Stadium? A 60 meter rope touches down on a grassy lawn just north of the service drive leading to Adobe at the north end of the bridge.

That's a funny story. I'm glad you weren't arrested. If it had been Layton, there would have been some sarcastic comment and that would have been all the excuse they'd need to give him a ride downtown.

By the way, what rope did you get?

You would have been shot dead if you had black hair a mono brow and a beard....and rightly so I might add.