Snapping Turtle, Free

catbirdseat

A neighbor found this big turtle wandering the neighborhood and my wife took it thinking maybe it was a pond turtle. I took one look at it and knew what it was. Snapping turtles are non-native, so we can't just turn it loose somewhere.

If no one wants it, we'll have to kill it. Before you ask, the zoo definitely doesn't want it. If you live on the East Coast or somewhere where they are native, I could ship it to you and you could release it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pacific Northwest Herpetological Society has a rescue and adoption progam:

http://www.pnwhs.org/index.php?page=home

How big is this sucker? I'm going back east next week and could bring it back to where it belongs, maybe. I may also be able to convince some science teachers to make it the class pet. I spent many a summer afternoon probing the mud for these guys, pulling them out by their tail, and selling them to the black guys who were fishing.

Two suggestions:

First, definitely try the reptile zoo out in Sultan/Gold Bar/near there, or that other rescue place.

Second, I saw a lost turtle flyer on a phone pole the other day (but this was in Bellevue, I think) - it might be someone's pet and you could post a flyer or 2 in the neighborhood where it was found and the owner might come forward - worth a try and not much effort.