• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mr.radon

Wonderland Trail?

The Mt Hood Timberline trail is a good one. Great views, numerous water falls, clifts, meadows, major river crossings, glaciers, blah, blah, blah.

It's 40-41 miles total.

High point 7300'

Low point 3800'

I'm not sure the total elevation gain/loss. Perhaps 10,000' or so.

Hiked it last year in in early Oct in 14h 30m

Ran it this year on Sept 28th in 10h 20m

If any of you guys are interested in the details PM me.

Northern Loop trail is good if anyone is looking for a long day, approx. 37 miles, lots of gain and loss. 10/13, did it from Ipsut to Windy Gap and around back to Ipsut, 11h. 45m. All bridges/footlog river crossings are in, and a little bit of snow on the high points. Great fall colors, minimal animal sightings. [Cool]

I heard the record for the Wonderland Trail is 28+ hours... for all you trail runners out there. Blight said something about doing the Olympus trip in 14+ hours.

I think some dude named Yvon-or-something once said, "If you bring bivy gear, you will bivy." Zone out the pain and trash the records of the past.

Sept. 1991 seasonal park ranger Dan Ostrowski ran the Wonderland in 27 hrs. 56 mins. according to The Challenge Of Rainier"

You don't 'run' the Wonderland Trail. The record of 28 hours works out to ~3.4mph which, by my definition, is a brisk walk. Earlier this year I did ~30 miles from Mowich Lake to White River in 7 hours by jogging most of the downhills. My pace slowed from there and by the time I got to Skyscraper Pass, my feet were begging to go up. The downhills were killing me so I decided to backtrack to Fryingpan Creek where I caught a ride to my truck. I carried ~10lbs and was hoping to make it around the mountain in under 24 hours. Hee, hee, lesson learned.

For those looking to do the Wonderland nonstop, I would suggest a steady pace just short of jogging. That works out to ~3mph on the uphills and ~4mph on the downhills for myself. Regardless of your average, the closer you stick to it, the better.