Wonderland Trail?

mr.radon

The Mt Hood Timberline trail is a good one. Great views, numerous water falls, clifts, meadows, major river crossings, glaciers, blah, blah, blah.

It's 40-41 miles total.

High point 7300'

Low point 3800'

I'm not sure the total elevation gain/loss. Perhaps 10,000' or so.

Hiked it last year in in early Oct in 14h 30m

Ran it this year on Sept 28th in 10h 20m

If any of you guys are interested in the details PM me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northern Loop trail is good if anyone is looking for a long day, approx. 37 miles, lots of gain and loss. 10/13, did it from Ipsut to Windy Gap and around back to Ipsut, 11h. 45m. All bridges/footlog river crossings are in, and a little bit of snow on the high points. Great fall colors, minimal animal sightings. [Cool]

You don't 'run' the Wonderland Trail. The record of 28 hours works out to ~3.4mph which, by my definition, is a brisk walk. Earlier this year I did ~30 miles from Mowich Lake to White River in 7 hours by jogging most of the downhills. My pace slowed from there and by the time I got to Skyscraper Pass, my feet were begging to go up. The downhills were killing me so I decided to backtrack to Fryingpan Creek where I caught a ride to my truck. I carried ~10lbs and was hoping to make it around the mountain in under 24 hours. Hee, hee, lesson learned.

For those looking to do the Wonderland nonstop, I would suggest a steady pace just short of jogging. That works out to ~3mph on the uphills and ~4mph on the downhills for myself. Regardless of your average, the closer you stick to it, the better.