Wonderland Trail?

mr.radon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trail is free and clear to the best of my knowledge. Panhandle Gap, the highest point may have a little snow, but that's normal. I was on parts of it over the last few days and Monday it was snowing pretty good at 4,500 feet, but stopped in the early afternoon.

So how many days are you going to take? The weekend is supposed to be nice weather, have fun.

Pack light and just eat [sNAFFLEHOUND] as you go.....

I'm planning to do the wonderland this weekend, starting 0-dark thirty on Saturday. I'm hoping to fit it into the weekend but I'm allowing for spillage into Monday. Since I won't be taking much in the way of bivy gear, I'll be very motivated.

Do you want to coordinate in any way?

^^

Three weeks ago I did a marathon hike in a weekend. I can't imagine how I'd have felt going a third long day in a row.

I ate everything I brought that was easy to munch on the go - trailmix, gummybears, candybars, pepperoni, and tons of powergel. Calories were the only thing keeping me going those last few miles to the car. I never wanted to stop and break out a sandwich until I was done the first day. Good f'n luck, I'm jealous. [Razz]

Here's what I think I'll take:

25 Goo, 1lb halva, 6 snickers, a bag of goldfish and 1/2lb summer sausage. This should be about 8000 cal. I don't anticipate eating this much in two days but I'm leaving extra for a second bivy if necessary. Also, I could stand to loose a few pounds on this outing as well (~3500 cal/lb!).

The rain is getting me worried though...

quote:

Originally posted by daytripper:

The rain is getting me worried though...

THURSDAY...RAIN OR SNOW.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...SCATTERED RAIN OR SNOW SHOWERS ENDING.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY.

.OUTLOOK FOR SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF A LITTLE RAIN OR

SNOW.

but you probalby knew that.....

I'm going alone. I don't want to slow anyone down, nor be slowed down. Bringing light bivy gear. If dry night starting Friday night at Mowich (in question); going Counter-Clockwise (debating). Since I won't be relying on cache's I'm not going to have a firm camp schedual, I know MRNP has you register, but I figure I'll be starting and stoping in the dark, who will check?

No stove, just purification tablets. I'm thinking of bringing just GU. Anyone with suggestions for food? I figure the faster I do it the less food I have to carry. Should I bring: [HORSECOCK]

I'll be the one with a red bandana on top of my balding head. [big Grin]

Got registered today so I can start tonight. Since I can't register at Mowich and I don't want to drive there after registering at Longmire I'm changing my plans. I'll do it Clockwise stoping at s. Puyallup tonight, Carbon River Sat., Indian Bar, Sunday. Like I said, anyone passes me I'll be wearing the RED bandana. Hopefully no rain all weekend.

Here is the route I'm taking:

Longmire 0.0 Sum

Pyramid Creek 3.8 3.8

Devils Dream 2.0 5.8

S. Puyallup 6.5 12.3

Klapatche Park 4.0 16.3

N. Puyallup 2.8 19.1

Golden Lakes 5.0 24.1

Mowich River 6.0 30.1

Mowich Lake 3.8 33.9

Ipsut Creek 5.5 39.4

Carbon River 2.9 42.3

Dick Creek 2.2 44.5

Mystic Lake 5.9 50.4

Granite Creek 4.5 54.9

Sunrise 4.0 58.9

White River 3.0 61.9

Summerland 6.5 68.4

Indian Bar 4.5 72.9

Nickle Creek 7.5 80.4

Box Canyon 1.0 81.4

Maple Creek 3.0 84.4

Paradise River 7.0 91.4

Longmire 4.5 95.9

[ 10-04-2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: mr.radon ]

How about a T.R. Mr. Radon and Daytripper. The weather was pretty good on our weenie hike from Fryingpan Creek to I-Bar. After a night of swilling beer and eating good the weather was bomber from I-Bar to Stevens Canyon.......Hope all went well..........Have a couple [big Drink][big Drink]

Honest attempt, but it's hit and miss with the weather in October. If the weather is bomber next Sun. I will do the NLT, Ipsut to Ipsut, about 35 miles or so. That trip is always a good challenge. Normally, for me it takes around 13 hours, I will watch the weather and decide on Fri. or Sat. [rockband]

Well, I started the wonderland at Longmire heading north on Friday at 3pm when it was still pretty soggy from earlier rain. I turned back after 15mi for a net round trip of 30 mi. and about 9500 ft elevation gain. I was okay until I got past S. Puyallup to where the trail was overgrown and got completely drenched from wet shrubbery. My boots were full of water and I anticipated many more miles of the shrubery and broke mentally. The total effort was about equivalent to a spring trial I did comprising 3 consecutive laps on Mt. Si but I took a couple of hours longer moving time (~10hrs). In addition, I gave my bivy gear a test about 5mi from the car on the return at midnight and found it wanting. After an unsuccessful 2hrs of horizontal shaking time, I moseyed back to the car to nap before the drive home.

Lessons learned:

Pick a dry week - October is a little late in the year --> September next year

Wear running shoes (I ended up going with boots)

Splurge a little weight on bivy gear (I took about 8oz)

Pick a little slightly slower pace on climbs to keep the cumulative fatigue down

Rest a little every few hours rather than going until you start stumbling.

I avoided stopping at all to keep from getting cold

--> take an insulated shell jacket to bivy in and and to keep you warm during rest stops

Train a little more, concentrating on stretching hips and hamstrings

I'm a little dissapointed but I'm super psyched to try again next year.

Hey if your into a thru trail to burn try the P.C.T. from Stevens to Snoqualmie. 71 miles is a little more reasonable with a pack of overnight gear. Three days and two nights. I just had a bud drop me off at Stevens and another friend pick me up at Snoqualmie Pass on Labor day.

I did the Wonderland last year. Five nights out.

Pretty casual. Would have done it in less time but could only stay at specific camps along the way.

The guy doing it in three days was a trail runner.

Mowich to Longmire, Longmire to Sunrise, Sunrise to Mowich. I guess he had a person drive his camping gear around to each place/night for him.

Good way to go.

3 consecutive days of 30 miles/ day with size able elevation gain and a pack [Wazzup] is too much for me unless there is a pot o' gold at the other end.

Keep on truckin'!

quote:

Originally posted by nogginfur:

Hey if your into a thru trail to burn try the P.C.T. from Stevens to Snoqualmie. 71 miles is a little more reasonable with a pack of overnight gear. Three days and two nights.

Yeah, this is the trip I did but in two days. It was spurred on by this thread from last year.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000069

Here is my TR of the weekend, been busy with getting ready for my operation.

Friday:

I got stuck in traffic. However, 30 minutes prior to loosing cell coverage the hospital called and said they could move my shoulder surgery up to today! (10-9-02) was 11-19-02, but I had to come in for Pre-OP on Monday @ 15:30 (3:30PM 10-7-02). I took the appointment! I have a bone spur, the anterior & superior labrum's are torn and the middle glenohumeral ligament is separated. Not climbing related, but hurts like hell on some crack climb moves. Now back to the TR.

Friday cont:

I left Longmire at 19:35, stopped at Klapatche Park 1:30AM. Trail was wet and slippery going down to S. Puyallup, sucked. (I stopped looking at my watch around there, it started moving slower) Suspension bridge was interesting in the dark, how high is that thing? BD LED headlamp worked great, couldn't see to bottom of bridge. Lots of fog, perfect temperature till I stopped. Looks like Day tripper passed me while I was taken a poo around Indian Henry’s. I got there around 22:50 I thought they had an out-house out there? Where is it?

Hit Pyramid Creek 20:45, DD 21:25, IH 22:50

Saturday:

Rain during the night, down bag got wet. Left the camp at 7:10 AM hiked North past Golden Lakes, thought it over and turned around. I didn't want to risk not making it back to the car prior to 12:45 Monday so I could make the Pre-OP appointment, not to mention smelling really bad. I didn’t think I could catch a ride from Mowich to Longmire.

I back-tracked to S. Puyallup, from there I went West to the WestSide road, took the round pass cut-off and hit the road right at the Marine Memorial. Walked/ran to where WestSide road and the Main road intersect, then back to Longmire. Got back to the car at 7:48PM.

Took one break to eat dinner, about 20 minutes. That was on main road, Kautz Creek rest stop. The GU WORKED!

Sunday: Soak in hot tub

I was glad to get on the WestSide road. I passed two people at Pyramid Creek at 20:40, only people I saw till WestSide road.

October is too late. Wet vegetation sucked, got feet wet. Rain sucked (not much) but I wasn't dry the whole trip. GU worked, hydration system (first time I used a bag and hose) worked extreamly well. Had enough food, down bag was damp from condensation, could have used a sleeping pad.

I'm going under the knife @ 13:30. Looks like NO ICE CLIMBING this winter for me! [Frown][Mad]