Tahoma Creek Approach / Success Cleaver hike

Terry_McClain

Tuesday I decided to do a day hike up to Success Cleaver.

The west side road is washed out in a few places requiring some stream crossing. The park service is working on the road right now, so it should be much better soon.

I brought my mtn bike for the 1-2 mile? road approach. I wondered if it was worthwhile on the way up, but was still very glad to have it on the way back.

The last time I went up Tahoma creek trail was 2 years ago. Since then, alot more of the trail is gone now, making for tedious going at times. I think with a bigger pack it would be faster/easier to come in from Kautz creek.

I ran into 2 climbers that were descending the ridge. They had bailed from Success Cleaver due to high freeze level.

A team of two were up on South T headwall. One of their party of three (Ft. Collins, Colorado) had stayed behind (sick) at their camp. I would be curious to know how their climb went. The route looked in- but I'll bet it was a bowling alley with the 14,000' freeze level!

Here are some pics looking up and down from 9500' on the ridge. This has become one of my favorite workout hikes.

Looking up Success Cleaver from 9500'

success_cleaver1.jpg

South T headwall from 9500' on Success Cleaver

success_cleaver2.jpg

Looking down towards Pyramid Peak from 9500' on Success Cleaver

success_cleaver3.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It was good to meet you Terry. Was a beutiful day on the hill, not to mention for a mirror lake cleansing:

401success_from_mirror_copy.gif

Agree about the south T headwall being a bowling ally. I spoke with the team of 3 you mentioned the previous night at the 8300 bivi. They planned to leave at 0300, but even so, with the freezing level so high...... I'm curious as well.

We ended up heading down for the night before heading up to Ingerham flats the next day. Did a consolation climb of the DC. Partner didn't feel up for much else. frown.gif Will post TR soon.

Cheers